Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

screeching wiper blades

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any got any tips to stop wiper blades screeching? Mine have screeched bad ever since I had the ute unless it's consistently raining a decent amount. I have tried intermediate setting and it's still bad. Only thing that worked was car wax but it only lasts less than a week at the most, then the noise appears again. I'm wondering if the windscreen is worn out? I have never had this issue in over 30 years of driving as bad as the ute is.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Fit new wiper inserts. If you have done that, try a different compound eg silicone, or an insert with a longer V shaped profile..
Failing that, a bit of adjustment/ bending/ flexing of the wiper arm so that the insert V and holder sit at 90 degrees to the screen.
( Bit hard to explain that without drawing a picture :confused:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Fairly new wiper blades fitted, tried different brands and nothing helps. Tried silicone blades and they were terrible. It's like something is stuck on the windscreen as it's worst at about the half way mark.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Try claybarring your windscreen then use 0000 grade steel wool and some good quality windscreen cleaner . Make sure you only use 0000 grade .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Apply a hydrophobic repellent to the winscreen and simply drive faster when it's raining, no wipers needed :p :rolleyes:

Seriously, Rain-X is rather good at getting water off the windsceen at >60kph but sometimes will make squeeky wipers worse, other times it will sometimes stop squeeks, it all depends on the wiper insert's compound and angles its dragged across the windscreen.

Squeeky chattering blades can be caused by contaminants on the glass so give the windscreen a really good clean. If the winscreen is really clean and the blades are still noisy, this can also be caused by the wiper blades not being pulled accross the windscreen correctly (they should be pulled not pushed). Such noise usually ocurs on either the upward stroke or the downward stroke because the top part of the wiper arm that holds the blade is not parrallel with the glass. To correct this, you can try twisting the wiper arm a little and get the arm and thus the blade at the correct angle.

So try cleaning, then the arm bending and then the rain-x.
The following video may be helpful with the arm bending.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Am having this problem with my daily as well, if you have a da polisher or something similar then use it with some glass polish on your windscreen to smooth the surface right out and use a ceramic coat to seal it up will make it heaps more slippery and repel water

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Have you tried changing the assembly? The plastic bushes get worn and can cause shuddering and screeching.

Other than that it's most likely the wind screen.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Have you tried changing the assembly? The plastic bushes get worn and can cause shuddering and screeching.

Other than that it's most likely the wind screen.
Which plastic bushes are talking about mate?

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
take the rubbers out of the wiper arms and soak them for a few hours in ArmourAll or similar....
works an absolute treat!