Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Screwdriver sets, what's best?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah I don't doubt snapon make good tools. I've got just a couple of them and can't fault them, I give them a 9/10.
But I don't believe they make the best of everything, maybe top 5 of most things. Some tools they'd be the best and other maybe second, fourth or fifth on the list.
They just don't seem to rank very well in value. And I like to find the best quality and value combination cos I'm a tight arse who likes good tools :)
I'll go shopping on the weekend and see how many I can actually pick up and feel...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Over Rated and over priced is Snap-On.

I have SP branded screw drivers, as well as 1 snap on ratchetting screw driver...I always grab for the snap on one because it feels a lot better in the hand, compared to the SP ones I have.

The down side is, it cost approximately $300, but worth every dollar

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
When you make a living with your tools on a daily basis, you don't buy cheap crap to rely on that's for sure.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I've got a craftsman ratching screwdriver ( for work ),that you put interchangeable bits in , magnet in the end so it magnetizes the bits. Liked it so much I got one for home as well .
Have plenty of other normal screwdrivers but the craftsmen is the go to.
When I got them ( probably early 90s ) , everyone was going on about snapon but if you wanted value as well as quality go craftsmen.
Yeah , snapon don't do the best in everything , their vise grips = uck. You can't beat vise grip for vise grips , (great range) , been using them for work and home for 30 years

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeap , that's them,when you look through their catalog and see some of the ones that say original, their some of the styles I've got. I recon they're brilliant . We use the bull nose , long nose, and c clamp ones at work, in various sizes . I've got same styles at home as well as sheet metal ones , the welding ones and the c clamps with swivel pads , they're fantastic, you can't kill them.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^
I like the Anti-pinch idea

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree the original Vise grips are awesome. I haven't tried any other good brands of them just no name rubbish and wanted to bin them.
I also use mine for cracking macadamias.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I have the Irwin vice grips, solid as.