Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second thoughts on my VE SS-V - Any advice?

markgen4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V M6
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is where to post something like this but here we go..

Firstly just some background; grown up with a diet of imports (R34 GTT & S15) and recently decided that i needed a more reliable, spacious car with a little-lot of go. I am not fussed on holden or ford thing, to me a car is a car.

Well I have been a proud owner of a 07 SS-V VE for just over a year now and have thrown in a 2 1/2" Full stainless steel exhaust plus headers (xforce) and a OTRCAI with a mafless tune. I will admit that i have an inner hoon which bring me to my next question. Been up against my mates TypeR Integra 150fkw (got smoked 2 car lengths), 180sx (stock - won by 1 1/2 car lengths) and fg xr6t/g6et/f6 (stock - lost by 2+car lengths and pulling). Just like to think a V8 would do better against a stock 180 and 150fwkw ITR. I was kind of expecting to lost by 3-5lengths against the f6 but had no idea how much faster the xr6t & g6et are. **Please note that above mentioned were all done on closed roads - I do not at all endore or promote illegal street racing**

When purchasing my VE I had the FG xr6t & g6et as my other options as they all fall into my category of fast large, spacious and great cruiser. Choose the VE as i love the v8 noise and flares I know the mods i have done to my car are your basic bolt ons and i dont want to go too far into doing internal work (CAM) but possibly could look at doing it. Been debating with my better half (hoon also) whether it is work me getting rid of my VE for a fg g6et/fg xr6t/ fg fpv f6 (really want the fpv).

Been in both the FG turbo range and really like the F6 for its looks and awesome acceleration. Begged my way into a friends 340rwkw F6 (only a flash tune with 2psi more boost) and was this thing an animal compared to my turtle VE. What do you guys think? Should i get rid of the VE and got the F6 as it is capable of mid 12s stock or work on my 13.8s VE? If you say work on it what can be done that isnts too major to make it keep up to those times of a F6?

On another occasion driving home from work ant stopped at the lights to my supprise my mates missus rolled up in her fg xr6t stock as a rock with my mate int he passenger seat. He yelled out for a run to 100km (speed limit). Well, all i can say is for a car with full exhaust, OTR CAI and Maf tune was i embarassed as f**# and to his missus *sigh* From this experience i have been extremely intimidated driving next to any of fords turbo 6 range.

Thanks for your time reading the post. Any advice on mods to match performance of F6 as this is my aim. Not interested in turbo charging/supercharging and i want it to be reliable for everyday use.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
What was said about the F6 models over the 315 boss: the F6 had way, way more torque than its counter part....so its going to win hands down but thats what forced induction gives you: the upper hand

you could opt for a cam in your engine but still would probably loose, but then where does it stop diff gears, stall, head work::: stroker

maybe you should work out your turn around, whether your going to loose cash selling the SS and buying the FPV or will you save more cash adding a charger or turbo to it

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Sounds like youre pretty sold on the ford man, id have the F6 if i was in your situation

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Yep, I'm with Munz here. Take a look at what you think you'd realistically get for selling the Commy and the on-road costs of the Ford. Also try to see what difference things like insurance would be for you. At least then you'll know roughly how much cash you can spend on the Commy. With a budget to work to people might have better ideas on what can be done to your car and see if it is anywhere near up to what you want out of it compared to the Fords.

Really hope this thread doesn't get trolled, you ask a very legitimate question. And I'd be interested what you end up doing.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Forced Induction on the VE or just get an F6
Have to spend a lot keeping it N/A anyway, if not more just to keep up with an F6

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm surprised by ya defeats.

As mentioned above, if you are unhappy definitely time to move on.

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.IV

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Modern OHC boosted I6 > Dinosaur V8