Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

seeing alot of new holdens, how do they get them?

jamierawr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 Ve 2007 & Calais VE 2007
im seeing alot of brand new SIDI holdens around, and im wondering how the hell are they affording new cars like that? is there some special way that im not seeing?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I was talking to a dealer up in QLD the other day and he mentioned there's a 50% discount on cars when your registered for GST so why not buy new, spend $50k on a car and get it for $25k, an awesome bargain if you ask me if it is infact correct.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I was talking to a dealer up in QLD the other day and he mentioned there's a 50% discount on cars when your registered for GST so why not buy new, spend $50k on a car and get it for $25k, an awesome bargain if you ask me if it is infact correct.

wtf??? lol :rofl:

Reaper

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
gst is about 15%, I agree fleet buyers and registered business's are exempt from GST but its not 50%!!

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
im seeing alot of brand new SIDI holdens around, and im wondering how the hell are they affording new cars like that? is there some special way that im not seeing?

Alot of people say the younger generation just want everything now!! big house, new car, etc etc....which many said led to the GFC.
But personally i just think, no one seems to worry about debt nowadays..
OR
maybe alot have links to staff prices???

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute

the dealer you spoke to obviously has no clue as to what he is talking about. There was a 50 percent tax waiver on the value of investment if it was purchased on or before December 31st 2009. MEANING that you do NOT get your car for half price, it's just that 50 percent on the value of your vehicle is offset against your business income. Let's say If the Car is valued at 40 thousand, 20 thousand is tax free. Meaning that on your profit and loss statement you get 20 thousand get deducted from your taxable income. So instead of being taxed on let's say 100 000, you get taxed on 80 thousand. It is still a saving of several thousand. Another great benefit of having a business is that you act as a tax collection agency,meaning that the GST on your purchases is also offset against your gst owing, which in itself is already several thousand less.

You are seeing a lot of those cars, because a lot of people are choosing to buy those over other makes, as they are very good cars with a fantastic value.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
the dealer you spoke to obviously has no clue as to what he is talking about. There was a 50 percent tax waiver on the value of investment if it was purchased on or before December 31st 2009. MEANING that you do NOT get your car for half price, it's just that 50 percent on the value of your vehicle is offset against your business income. Let's say If the Car is valued at 40 thousand, 20 thousand is tax free. Meaning that on your profit and loss statement you get 20 thousand get deducted from your taxable income. So instead of being taxed on let's say 100 000, you get taxed on 80 thousand. It is still a saving of several thousand. Another great benefit of having a business is that you act as a tax collection agency,meaning that the GST on your purchases is also offset against your gst owing, which in itself is already several thousand less.

You are seeing a lot of those cars, because a lot of people are choosing to buy those over other makes, as they are very good cars with a fantastic value.

very good explanation!
i myself purchased the sportwagon late last year in this very fashion.

a little more info for those curious, those businesses making this type of purchase would otherwise still be able to claim the full value of the car, but only at a certain rate over a number of years (ie they've have to wait longer to claim the full value). the 50% rebate simply allowed you to claim a full 50% in the first year. the real 'cost' of the car is still the same though... so just because the 50% rebate is no longer available, doesnt mean you cant claim as much or it'll cost more. it just means you cant claim as quickly. the rebate was brought in to encourage small business to spend on asset purchases right when the economy needed it (ie last year).

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Banks like to lend money to ppl :)
And ppl would rather a new car as alot cannot afford to buy a home.

my guess anyways