Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized engine??!!! VF SS II

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
If the service book and original owners manual is with the car, the OP has the original selling dealers contact information.

They can contact them asking for a print out of any service records they have on that vehicle.

I did it for my R8, even though I had the full service info recorded in the service book. I wanted to see if any warranty work was carried out prior to me purchasing it. The car had the wobbly harmonic balancer issue on the LS3, so while I was there I asked. They supplied a full print out for me.
Well you had better luck than I did. Our VE SV6 which we bought SH with 38,000 on the odo was sold new by Bartons Holden so I contacted them with a view to obtaining copies of all the service records as all the servicing had been done by them except for the last service which was done by Ken Mills Toyota (the selling dealer). I was politely told that Barton's could not release that information without the consent of the previous owner.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So you’re saying, it's ok to miss servicing....If something stuffs up, the manufacturer is at fault regardless because they haven't met their ACL requirements...
I’ve never said it’s ok to miss services and then blame Holden if/when something mechanical goes wrong.

I said that Holden won’t be aware of any services one may have don’t at a 3rd party business because that 3rd party business can’t link into Holden’s fixed price service portal to report the “service event”. (and it’s Holden’s choice not to open up such a service portal for 3rd parties but that’s a different can or worms that ACCC doesn't want to look into)…

(I’ve also said Holden and their dealer aren't flexible enough in how they service vehicles because in some instances dumping oil and filter after 200 km in 9 months is based on engineering, rather it’s just a profit grab)

So if the current owner can get records and receipts of the services that are missing their stamp in the service booklet, that should be sufficient to proved it was serviced by a 3rd party mechanic (presumably) to the level required in consumer law.

After all, performing a “book” service, as some people call it, via a 3rd party service provider isn’t something that Holden can hold against the vehicle owner. And our ACCC and state based consumer groups have gone to great pains to make it known that servicing at 3rd party providers is an acceptable choice and can’t be used as a reason for denying warranty...

Regardless of the above, if I was buying a used car and a few page stubs that contain the stamps are missing from the service booklet, such wouldn't be enough for me to walk away but it would definitely be enough for me to ask some questions and for copies of the service providers business receipts as proof of service.

After all, a missing stamp in isolation means nothing if the owner can provide a receipt for the scheduled service, especially if those receipts list the work that was done, the date it occurred and the kms on the odo when it occurred (which is what I’d expect of all service records, otherwise they are somewhat useless).

And I’d still be checking the work done by the 3rd party against Holden’s scheduled tasks for that service interval just to make sure all was done as required. It’s a bit more faffing about but shouldn’t mean missing out on an otherwise good car.

Heck, even if the service booklet was fully stamped, I’d still want the service receipts as they contain more info than the simple fact the service was done… Stuff like customer concerns, warranty work, recall work, etc. Service receipts are in my opinion much more valuable than a stamp and a signature that anyone can forge… Such makes it harder to buy used as most people can’t organise themselves to keep such stuff (unless they are car nuts)…

As is, if the OP can’t provide any proof of service, the assumption will be the vehicle wasn’t serviced and any further warranty claim will be denied (given he has the $4k payment from his insurance type warranty). So his out of pocket costs will remain.

PS: my pet hate is those stupid perforations on the service coupon pages that list the actual work required along with the fact the dealer then rips them out and stamps and signs the stub left behind.

I prefer the page is left in place as is and simply stamped and signed so you retain the history of what should get done within booklet. But I’ve been told they can’t leave the page in the booklet which sounds really stupid, so my service booklet isn’t stamped but I’ve got all the service receipts, warranty receipts and recall receipts. My cars being over serviced given the kms travelled but such is life. If I ever sell and someone doesn’t want to buy it because of missing stamps, so be it… their loss.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So what are you saying with this statement

"In essence this means it doesn’t fall on Holden to prove it wasn’t serviced. Really Holden just has to say their records show service was missed or late and it’s likely the failure occurred due to the owner not meeting their service obligations and it falls on tne claimant to show that such isn’t true."

Really, if you have ALL service records, no matter who serviced the car, you have the proof as far as Holden is concerned, that you have met all requirements proving the car is service according to their schedule....

So your above statement is false....

But, the Op has 4 pages missing (or 4 scheduled services), which gives the rightful out for any claim, even by ACL standards because you have failed to keep your obligations.....

So unless those 4 pages can be found, basically, you're shite out of luck

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Well you had better luck than I did. Our VE SV6 which we bought SH with 38,000 on the odo was sold new by Bartons Holden so I contacted them with a view to obtaining copies of all the service records as all the servicing had been done by them except for the last service which was done by Ken Mills Toyota (the selling dealer). I was politely told that Barton's could not release that information without the consent of the previous owner.
Ditto, it was the previous owners
"Intellectual Property" and l would have to contact them and they would have to agree to release the servicing records. Turned out that they, the dealership, were just to lazy and their lame excuses had no merit at all.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
So what are you saying with this statement

"In essence this means it doesn’t fall on Holden to prove it wasn’t serviced. Really Holden just has to say their records show service was missed or late and it’s likely the failure occurred due to the owner not meeting their service obligations and it falls on tne claimant to show that such isn’t true."

Really, if you have ALL service records, no matter who serviced the car, you have the proof as far as Holden is concerned, that you have met all requirements proving the car is service according to their schedule....

So your above statement is false....

But, the Op has 4 pages missing (or 4 scheduled services), which gives the rightful out for any claim, even by ACL standards because you have failed to keep your obligations.....

So unless those 4 pages can be found, basically, you're shite out of luck
The quote you referenced was in reply to OldBomb who said Holden can’t prove servicing was not done. My reply simply says it is for the claimant (car owner) to prove his car was service and it’s not for the respondent (Holden) to prove it wasn’t serviced.

In more detail, as the respondent, Holden doesn’t have to prove anything, they simply have to state under oath that they have no records that all services were done as required and that the warranty was denied because of this fact. Such is enough to put the burden of proof on the respondent where he must then show to the judges satisfaction that all services were done in time and kms, whichever came first (and/or that lack of servicing had no bearing on the failure). But Holden would want to have it’s powder dry and be ready to pounce with appropriate arguments should the claimant prove servicing wasn’t skipped and/or the failure was not related to missed services…

Regardless, I agree that if the OP can’t find any proof to show that all services were done within the required time and km (or that the failure wasn’t related to missed services which I’d only present in a tribunal) then he’s pushing **** up hill.

The only point of difference being that you put so much importance in a stamp within a book which I don’t place much if any importance in (service receipts are much more valuable in terms of proof of servicing and what type of servicing).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
we bought SH with 38,000 on the odo was sold new by Bartons Holden so I contacted them with a view to obtaining copies of all the service records as all the servicing had been done by them except for the last service which was done by Ken Mills Toyota (the selling dealer). I was politely told that Barton's could not release that information without the consent of the previous owner.
Ditto, it was the previous owners
"Intellectual Property" and l would have to contact them and they would have to agree to release the servicing records. Turned out that they, the dealership, were just to lazy and their lame excuses had no merit at all.
There is no intellectual property in service records, private information like name, address and phone number yes but nothing intellectual….

Really, the dealer could have printed the receipts, used a black marker to redact (paint over) the personal details (name, address, phone numbers, etc) and photocopied the results (so you couldn’t glean anything which was blacked out) and then given those photocopies to you.

Or you could have gotten the previous owners details from the selling dealer (as they have to provide their name by law) and called the previous owner and asked him to authorise the release of the service records from that dealer. Should be ok to make the call from the dealer who has the records.

Really, dealers are just lazy shits and won’t do anything to be helpful if they didn’t make the sale and then sometimes even if the did make the sale…

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Read the terms of the warranty agreement, which are usually iron clad. they're also written in a way that limits the manufacturers liability.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
"consumer guarantees" against a manufacturer are only valid for 100,000km. if you purchased it used from a dealer, your claim is against the seller

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
There is no intellectual property in service records, private information like name, address and phone number yes but nothing intellectual….

Really, the dealer could have printed the receipts, used a black marker to redact (paint over) the personal details (name, address, phone numbers, etc) and photocopied the results (so you couldn’t glean anything which was blacked out) and then given those photocopies to you.

Or you could have gotten the previous owners details from the selling dealer (as they have to provide their name by law) and called the previous owner and asked him to authorise the release of the service records from that dealer. Should be ok to make the call from the dealer who has the records.

Really, dealers are just lazy shits and won’t do anything to be helpful if they didn’t make the sale and then sometimes even if the did make the sale…
The idiotic thing about it all is that we have the log book with the original owners full names, address and phone numbers and I told the woman at Bartons as much and to just, as you say, use a black marker to redact their personal info from the printout copies. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that didn't change her stance 1mm. If I obtained written permission from the original owners and present it to Bartons then they would provide the service records I was after. At the end of the day I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
As in a previous post, the log books were up to date, but l wanted the servicing records.
As the dealership was giving me misleading information I contacted the Govt. Transport Agency. They got it touch with the dealership and I was given all of the servicing records for the previous ten years. Without the Govt. Registration Agency getting involved l doubt that the dealership would have ever provided these records.
At the end of the day it's useful information to be able to access.