Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX engine issue

CYA

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE 3.6L 2012 series II
Hi Fellas,

I recently purchased my 3rd commodore (previous owner of VT 1999 and VE 2009 series I), and I was very happy with my latest purchase (VE SV6 2012 series II), when out of the blue the engine started to shake, and stalled. I noticed it could probably be a major failure and towed straight away to the workshop. After removing the rocker cover, a valve spring was found broken in half, a rocker was damaged and the valve was bent. I was told that would be cheaper fitting a second hand engine if I wanted to keep the car. As I didn't wanna see the car go, I got to know just commodores in Perth, those guys have been dealing with commodores for decades.

After a conversation with the experienced mechanic, he told me these LFX and LLT from VEs have been showing a recurring problem on the spring valve, and most of those that broke down were around 200,000 km or higher (mine was 215,000). I fitted a LFX engine from a VE that had 170,000 km. I honestly didn't know about this problem and got a bit disappointed with what I heard. Wouldn't I be taking a big risk once again? or maybe I was just one of those very unlucky ones? By the way, the commodore that broke down was from a single owner, always serviced at holden and timing chain replaced at 150,000 km, excellent condition overall.

Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As you said, just unlucky,
Especially since it was maintained correctly.

I just read 15 minutes ago another JC's member [in Perth] had the very similar issue.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...right-side-cylinder-head.301389/#post-3383979

I have also experienced the LFX [and read LLT's] can have Oil Pump issues, and would fail in the 200,000 k's,
Causing the engines to seize,
My nephew had his LFX seize on him on the way home while he was stuck in traffic at the lights,
I sourced a replacement, and we swapped it, and ran great,
he then sold it, and the new owner wrote it off in a month.