Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized engine??!!! VF SS II

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I vote he trows turbo barra in this one

Pragmatically, I’d be hunting down a new crate LS3 if I can find one. Failing that, I’d be looking for a new block and rebuilding the LS3.

But idealistically (if I had the time, money, opportunity… ), I’d be toying with the idea of dropping a LT1 or similar in it’s place!

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
I made a claim for an alternator only a few months after I purchased the car, I thought it was a dead battery but after replacing the battery it still wouldn’t keep charge.

As for the engine bits, there was nothing on the floor in my carpark, nothing on the tow truck, when nrma came out he used a socket to turn the crankshaft and it went left and right by 1cm, that’s when he made the observation it’s seized. I literally got underneath my car to observe the starter motor as I thought that was the issue, so I would have seen something obvious, so it must’ve been maybe on top of that plastic cover as I never removed that.

The sump was still at the full line of oil when it got towed because the towie himself checked it as well and even said there is no way your engine is seized. But here I am in a confusing situation.

AWN should be getting back to me tommorow, depending on their decision, I will either get it towed to Holden or to a better known mechanic who can actually take it apart

I even started considering hydrolock? But surely not

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
NAhh, she's thrown a rod and it's locked up the rotating assembly.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I made a claim for an alternator only a few months after I purchased the car, I thought it was a dead battery but after replacing the battery it still wouldn’t keep charge.

As for the engine bits, there was nothing on the floor in my carpark, nothing on the tow truck, when nrma came out he used a socket to turn the crankshaft and it went left and right by 1cm, that’s when he made the observation it’s seized. I literally got underneath my car to observe the starter motor as I thought that was the issue, so I would have seen something obvious, so it must’ve been maybe on top of that plastic cover as I never removed that.

The sump was still at the full line of oil when it got towed because the towie himself checked it as well and even said there is no way your engine is seized. But here I am in a confusing situation.

AWN should be getting back to me tommorow, depending on their decision, I will either get it towed to Holden or to a better known mechanic who can actually take it apart

Keep us all informed, we are all very interested in how it all pans out.

And don’t be disheartened by some of the speculation on the forum. If there are gaps in information, it’s human nature to fill those gaps in. :)

(I’m not too sure about the hydro lock theory. More like you have done a big end bearing and it has fused/welded when the engine last stopped. And when to tried to restart it, it broken the little end and smashed the block?).

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Thanks everyone for your input though! Before this I thought the only way to seize an engine was having no oil, never thought I would ever end up with one when my oil was full I just really want the honest truth from whoever diagnoses it. I just can’t fathom anything I’ve done in the 7000km that I’ve had this car for it to do that

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I have a mate that works in a wreckers....He said to me he is throwing good Barras in the scrap bin.....Can't sell them because the market is flooded with them at the moment....

His boss gave him a Barra to put into a Diesel Merc Van that had a stuffed motor, so it wasn't taking up space.

Barras in time will become money in the bank, for sure, but how many years before that comes to fruition, is anyones guess.
FG green tops are the hidden gold for the future as they have front and rear sump options

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Some reading for you here, if your searching hasn't found it already...

The third post by Ron Burgundy has links to
1. A forum thread about his case that resulted in a successful engine replacement (I think, long long read at 38 pages).
2. A newspaper story about case in New Zealand resulting in a refund.
3. Another forum thread about noisy lifters. (not relevant)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The OP copped the engine throwing a leg out of bed, mechanic was asked, mechanic didn't really want to have anything to do with it (as witnessed by the later quote of $20k for sourcing a used replacement engine) so said "not serviced properly" without even really looking at it.

This sort of stuff coming from mechanics who're not interested in something isn't odd. It's also not odd in general, ain't limited just to mechanics & ain't limited just to trades.
The last place I worked at, if the boss got a request for a job he didn't want, he would quote a 'piss-off' price, with the hope the customer would go for a cheaper price elsewhere.
Problem was, he usually would not quote high enough, and we would end up with a PITA job, but a good profit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
FG green tops are the hidden gold for the future as they have front and rear sump options
One problem, Scotty from Carnage kills those with a vengeance.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
better then a used engine for 20k+fitting, just get a block and send your existing for bout half the cost then just removal/fitting and ur done

or just to see what engine 20k does get u

as long as all accessories fit then the removal/fitting is pretty straight forward