Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized Heater Flapper Valve

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hi all,

I hope this is the right section to post this.

I have recently purchased a VN SS and am slowly working my way through all the little issues that it has and am fixing everything properly.

I have discovered that the heater flapper valve that is operated by the rod on the back of the heater temperature knob is seized solid.

I only just found this issue while putting everything back together after fixing a heap of wiring issues and installing a stereo. Pity I didn't find it when I had most of it apart.

I have a spare car so parts aren't an issue but I'd rather not have to pull half the dash out in order to fix it if there is a simple way to unjam it.

I've read about other people having this problem but haven't seen any posts where someone has managed to fix it.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue or perhaps offer some guidance from personal experience?

Thanks in advance
Darren

Last edited:

bmr#35

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl hilux and a moped ;)
what car- motor mate?

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
My above post has been edited to include that info. :)

It's a VN SS (V8 obviously).

bmr#35

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl hilux and a moped ;)
so what's your actual problem is the heater stuck on?
if so quick fix..... under the right hand side engine cover lays a heater tap remove the vacuum line of this and plug it, intern this will close the tap not allowing water to flow in to your heater box.
or is the actual knob seized?? as far as i was aware they all worked under vacuum...? so it isnt a big deal....
i found this whilst searching
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...993/92300-vn-heater-valve-tap-stuck-cold.html

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
The problem is exactly as I stated.

There is a flapper valve that controls the amount of hot air entering the cabin. This valve is seized solid.

This valve is controlled by the temperature knob. As you turn the knob to either hotter or colder it moves an actuating rod which via a little plastic linkage opens or closes the flapper valve.

This portion is not vacuum controlled. It is mechanically actuated.

The valve itself is seized solid. As a result of this the little plastic arm has broken but that's no big deal. I have a spare one of those.
I need to unseize the flapper valve and I was hoping someone may have seen this issue before and had an idea of what may cause it and a possible fix for it.

I'd rather not have to remove the majority of the dash to replace the heater unit if I don't have to.

I'm not interested in just blanking off the heater etc. It has to be fixed correctly.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I did a search prior to posting my initial question and found a couple of threads but not this one. I'm going to try the multi-grip method and see if I have any luck.

My thoughts are that it's probably just a piece of rubber or foam seal that has become wedged in the valve and is jamming it. With a bit of persuasion I may be able to free it up. Worth a try anyway.

Last edited: