Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

seized v8?

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
i bought a vs v8 ute that has a seized motor. i had planned to source a replacement but before i go down that track, i would be inteterested to know if the old one is at all salvagable. a local mechanic told me that the ute had never worked hard (odo shows 185k mileage) and that the previous owner dropped it off so that he could diagnose a thermo fan problem. the mechanic started the ute to let it idle up to operating temperature when there was a bang and everything stopped.... The owner picked it up and that was that. Anyway, i cannot turn the crank with a socket and bar but havent looked into things further. i have checked engine oil....dirty but no moisture or filings on dipstick. There does appear to be a fairly good oil leak from rear of motor which is still leaking after 4 months. when i turn ignition, starter motor clicks but wont turn motor (new battery). Ute was on dual fuel but i have removed gas lines, tank and mixer. i am not a mechanic but if the current motor can be saved, that would be my preference. any theories???

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
And the original mechanic didnt have an opportunity to look at the motor...

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Its possible that something in the tranny/gearbox has let go and has locked up...prob the best bet is to remove the motor and gearbox and work from there..if its pooched it will need to be removed to replace, if not to bad repair and fix oil leaks is easier with the engine out....most times engine lock up due to oil loss will free up after they cool..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Only way to know is the strip the engine and find the failure. Once you know that you can figure out the best cause of action.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
would a faulty transmission cause the motor to stop if it was idling in park?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It may be possible but would most likely be a converter issue. Unbolt the converter from the flex plate to test.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
righto. might give that a try. the previous owner said that there had been no engine symptoms leading up to it stopping. what would the large oil loss at the rear of the motor suggest?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Loss of oil would suggest it's picked up/spun a bearing and locked up the crank.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
what would the large oil loss at the rear of the motor suggest?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a severe rear main leak, the design of the seal on the 5L was not good.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was the standard seal design of the era, when re-building you can change it to a neo 2 piece type seal.