Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Self-driving cars are getting into accidents in California

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
couldn't pay me to own or get in one of them self driving cars, i like my manual ute too much

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Self driving cars will only work if all cars are self driving. Put a human in the mix and they have slower reactions, unpredictable behavior and a "I'm better than a robot" mentality that they will be the ones that will be causing the issues. If you take people out of the equation, traffic will flow.

In a perfect world.

People like to drive and be in control. With anything. Sometimes automation is good, but for the most part, people like to feel that they are in control of what ever it is they are doing.

A drawback of technology is also people. Software is written in a language that people can understand, that's why there are so many issues with it, too many words and symbols. If a computer could write it's own programming, the syntax would be a fraction of the size it is now. People get in the way of technology, but if technology had it's way, would we be living in The Matrix?

I love driving too, but sometimes a car that would drive itself would be handy.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
If you could have a self driving car, and be in it while completely wasted - I'd be first in line to buy one.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Isn't that called a taxi? Sure there's still the human interface, but why buy a whole new car instead of about a thousand taxi fares?

IMHO a self-driver is only worth buying if you're using it all the time, and for me it'd be used so rarely it wouldn't be financially viable.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
love the the title of the thread.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Isn't that called a taxi? Sure there's still the human interface, but why buy a whole new car instead of about a thousand taxi fares?

IMHO a self-driver is only worth buying if you're using it all the time, and for me it'd be used so rarely it wouldn't be financially viable.

A taxi would cost me over $60 each way AND i'd have to wait for it to get to my house/for one to be free.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Well a taxi is a way of outsourcing your transportation.

Places like NY that people lives like sardines in a can, the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) of a vehicle outweighs the benefits. Mass transit is the way to go and taxis is perhaps cheap to use.

Do not take me wrong, I am not an Amish that rather have a horse drawn buggy; love to have more than a 1 hp vehicle. But my take is, technology is to help and serve you, not the other way around. For example, cell phones are great, does all kinds of great things. When is integrated with let us say F-Book is actually a cancer. People stayed "connected" so much that now they need a self-driving car. A problem created from technology and solved again with more technology.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
self driving cars makes drive by shooting's easier