Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serious Electrical Problem

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
What was the problem?
The ECU, something inside it gave up. He did all kinds of tests to make sure that's what it was (ruling out wiring, earth connections, voltage issues, the bank of coils that fuse also covers). He had another faulty (for another reason) ECU out the back he hooked up and the fuse was fine...so he was sure.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The ECU, something inside it gave up. He did all kinds of tests to make sure that's what it was (ruling out wiring, earth connections, voltage issues, the bank of coils that fuse also covers). He had another faulty (for another reason) ECU out the back he hooked up and the fuse was fine...so he was sure.
Was the old ecm replaced or repaired? If replaced, old or new?

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Was the old ecm replaced or repaired? If replaced, old or new?
I opted for a new replacement. A repair would have been maybe $500 cheaper, but with little or no guarantees, and another week down time.

Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You get the old one back ?
So it’s all legit !

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
VE S2 SV6 so either a LLT or LFX so either a E69 or a E39 ECU with the latter more liable to fail in hot weather it's quite a realistic occurrence.
If it was the E69 that failed then they are not so common but still happen now and then.

symean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
You get the out one back ?
So it’s all legit !
No, felt no need to distrust him. I've been to plenty of mechanics and service centres and had my fair share of good an bad experiences, totally sure this was one of the good ones. If he was ripping me off and just 'reset' it somehow and charged me for a new one, he could have easily given me a dead one from out the back anyway. He showed me mine and the other intermittently faulty one