Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service and Tune

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Hi All
My R8 is out of warranty and capped price servicing program, so I am looking at doing a CAI/OTR and Tune along with the 75k service (car only has 38k on the clock). I read through a few threads and have seen recommendations for C & A, DPM, Auto technique, SASS Automotive, GM Motorsports etc. I am in Melbourne west and the closest ones are SASS, GM and DPM with DPM and SASS having all positive reviews.
Anyone have any experience with SASS, GM or DPM and provide recommendations who I go with. All of them have a VCM OTR and their respective dynos with similar results, so I just want to go to the closest one possible(which is SASS) whom I can use for servicing the car as well moving forward. Appreciate if someone can share some experience.
Thanks for the help guys!!

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I am probably in a similar area to you by the sounds of things, dpm and sass are good but can be a bit expensive, I have had both my car's done by C & a and they have been great! And very well priced! Was worth the extra drive from the Macedon area, I'd recommend a dpe catback also as I think that's around $3200 for the catback OTR and tune! $5k with headers and cats too from memory

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I am probably in a similar area to you by the sounds of things, dpm and sass are good but can be a bit expensive, I have had both my car's done by C & a and they have been great! And very well priced! Was worth the extra drive from the Macedon area, I'd recommend a dpe catback also as I think that's around $3200 for the catback OTR and tune! $5k with headers and cats too from memory
Thanks, just looking for an OTR and tune for now as I am happy with the bimodal exhaust, might get the exhaust a bit later down the track. Do you use C&A for servicing as well?
They are a bit far so I was looking for someone closer. I am near point cook, so Sass is the closest with DPM being the second closest. C&A is about an hours drive.
Edit:- also trying to decide between OTR and CAI, want to retain the stock factory look so prefer the CAI similar to the factory set up but I believe OTR has a better result in terms of air flow, appreciate if anyone can share any experience with the two. Most of the work I have seen has OTR intake which most timers are offering.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
my 2c

you might get a bit of a bump with this setup but i think the biggest thing is you will introduce a chunk of induction noise without the exhaust balancing the sound.

I could be wrong and i'm sure someone that's done this will chime in, i would spend the extra and do the whole thing. My understanding though is that the exhaust is a bigger restriction than the intake. So you will be limiting your tuners results heavily by only doing an intake. Getting the exhaust "down the track" will just mean you'll need it tuned twice and you will spend more in the long run. There's an old saying, do it once, do it right. Providing money short term isn't the issue this couldn't be truer with doing an exhaust/intake/tune.

VCM OTR has an extremely great factory look with nice infill panels. Below is what it looks like - the OTR is in the middle and the optional infill panels are on the sides.

upload_2020-6-3_8-34-59.png

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I'm interested in any opinions too, as I'm tempted by an uprated intake and tune for my R8 at some point.
I've not seen many CAI offerings in Melbourne, most shops seem linked to either Harrop or VCM OTRs.

The exhaust on the R8 is already a little more free flowing than a stock Redline (bigger headers?) so might be better balanced.
I quite like induction noise so might be OK anyway.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
my 2c

you might get a bit of a bump with this setup but i think the biggest thing is you will introduce a chunk of induction noise without the exhaust balancing the sound.

I could be wrong and i'm sure someone that's done this will chime in, i would spend the extra and do the whole thing. My understanding though is that the exhaust is a bigger restriction than the intake. So you will be limiting your tuners results heavily by only doing an intake. Getting the exhaust "down the track" will just mean you'll need it tuned twice and you will spend more in the long run. There's an old saying, do it once, do it right. Providing money short term isn't the issue this couldn't be truer with doing an exhaust/intake/tune.

VCM OTR has an extremely great factory look with nice infill panels. Below is what it looks like - the OTR is in the middle and the optional infill panels are on the sides.

View attachment 211445
No issues spending the extra to get the exhaust, just that the current exhaust set up with the bi-modal fuse pulled out is enough to drown the minimal induction sound OTR would generate :)
I have seen the VCM set up and it does look neat and definitely going to go for VCM for OTR.
Any suggestions on the shops in Melbourne?

I'm interested in any opinions too, as I'm tempted by an uprated intake and tune for my R8 at some point.
I've not seen many CAI offerings in Melbourne, most shops seem linked to either Harrop or VCM OTRs.
Same, the only one I have seen so far is C & A, but they do not have any photos on their website, all jobs shown are VCM OTR. I did see a photo of CAI somewhere on this site which looked pretty close to the factory set up but it didn't say how efficient it was.

The exhaust on the R8 is already a little more free flowing than a stock Redline (bigger headers?) so might be better balanced.
I quite like induction noise so might be OK anyway.
Same, the R8 already has a decent V8 note and I am not really chasing power figures(don't track the car and planning to get a bike so the R8 will be a weekend drive only), just want something that makes the car breathe better.
Any experience with any of the shops I mentioned as I am due for a service as well, so wanted to get the tune done alongside and then use the shop for servicing moving forward?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Any experience with any of the shops I mentioned as I am due for a service as well, so wanted to get the tune done alongside and then use the shop for servicing moving forward?

I've only had mine serviced once so far (bought it last year). Went to Chevs in Currum Downs on recommendation from a guy at work.
They do performance work too, but not checked pricing yet.
Even further from you though!

This thread has some good ideas/opinions in
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-vf-ss-otr-cai-is-best.270661/
From my reading the VCM OTR had a design flaw in the mk1 (a few years back), which was remedied for the revised version.

426Cuda has a Rotofab in his MSE, which looks baller and more stock than an OTR, but its from the US and I think needed a little mod for Aus cars?
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-vf-ss-otr-cai-is-best.270661/page-4#post-3036627
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/roto-fab-cai-installation-vf2.264549/

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I've only had mine serviced once so far (bought it last year). Went to Chevs in Currum Downs on recommendation from a guy at work.
They do performance work too, but not checked pricing yet.
Even further from you though!

This thread has some good ideas/opinions in
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-vf-ss-otr-cai-is-best.270661/
From my reading the VCM OTR had a design flaw in the mk1 (a few years back), which was remedied for the revised version.

426Cuda has a Rotofab in his MSE, which looks baller and more stock than an OTR, but its from the US and I think needed a little mod for Aus cars?
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-vf-ss-otr-cai-is-best.270661/page-4#post-3036627
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/roto-fab-cai-installation-vf2.264549/

Thanks, already went through the threads, but none of them answered the question I asked about the specific shops. I am comfortable going with VCM OTR, just want to find out who should I go with, whom I can use for servicing as well moving forward :)
Chevs definitely is too far, I pretty much need to decide between SASS and DPM or even GM Motorsports, but heard mixed reviews on them, whereas the former 2 have all positive feedback.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
For what it’s worth I fitted VCM OTR and didn’t notice any extra induction noise.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
For what it’s worth I fitted VCM OTR and didn’t notice any extra induction noise.
Thanks buddy, I am now booked for a VCM OTR, Tune and a service with DPM for next week. I rang both C & A and DPM this morning, although DPM is coming slightly more expensive, they are much closer to home so easier for me to get to and for future servicing etc.
If C & A was closer I would have gone with them, both the guys I spoke to Dale and Andrew sounded like nice blokes who know what they are doing and very straightforward in their advise.
Will update the thread once the car is done.