Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service reminder

millionar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 SSV Commodore
Be good if the dash display just told you WTF is wrong instead of just giving you a vague cryptic message!
All sorted. Scan showed the oil pressure sensor switch needs replacing. No big deal other than the location lol. Thanks for the input.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
All sorted. Scan showed the oil pressure sensor switch needs replacing. No big deal other than the location lol. Thanks for the input.
If only the dash display just said “P0521. Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Range/Performance". But then the stealership couldn‘t pretend it’s all voodoo and charge an arm and a leg for the repair!

End rant.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
DA6810AF-E856-4DA4-96F5-B8F0A70712D8.jpeg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Be good if the dash display just told you WTF is wrong instead of just giving you a vague cryptic message!
MyLink is more than powerful enough to have an integrated OBD2 application with a Holden specific database for codes and bundled with appropriate diagnostic guidance to trouble shoot the issue. But then what would we need the dealer for, it’s not as if we’d miss the dealer monkeys smearing oil and grease through our vehicle’s interior :p

Such an “engineering mode“ would be appreciated by every enthusiast but not by the dealer network itself who really wast to smear our cars with oil and grease :mad:

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I mean to be fair that’s not a Holden exclusive thing…

My old BMW (E90) almost every fault ranging from but not limited to (boost leak, turbo failure, Vanos failure, high pressure fuel pump failure, high pressure injector failure, coil pack failure) gives the same generic “engine fault, reduced engine power” error on idrive screen with an additional message to “have the vehicle checked at your nearest BMW stealership asap” to get stung by a $200 plug in scan diagnostic fee lol

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I mean to be fair that’s not a Holden exclusive thing…

My old BMW (E90) almost every fault ranging from but not limited to (boost leak, turbo failure, Vanos failure, high pressure fuel pump failure, high pressure injector failure, coil pack failure) gives the same generic “engine fault, reduced engine power” error on idrive screen with an additional message to “have the vehicle checked at your nearest BMW stealership asap” to get stung by a $200 plug in scan diagnostic fee lol
Its not an issue of fair… its an issue of what’s right for the customer.

Just because most/all manufacturers screw their customers in this way doesn’t make it right. IMO it’s wrong and any manufacturer who screws their customer in this fashion should all be called on such shitfuckery..

Instead what will we be getting in future…, subscription services for vehicle features :mad:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Its not an issue of fair… its an issue of what’s right for the customer.

Just because most/all manufacturers screw their customers in this way doesn’t make it right. IMO it’s wrong and any manufacturer who screws their customer in this fashion should all be called on such shitfuckery..

Instead what will we be getting in future…, subscription services for vehicle features :mad:
We should all boycott manufacturers that do it, and send them outta business … imma gonna do this to Holden!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the message is to show that there is a non critical issue being detected which would cause the customer to contact a dealer to resolve it.

the reason they do not show the codes on the dash is because you(the person that wants to know the code) make up a tiny amount of their target consumers.
their target consumer is normally mechanically illiterate so displaying error codes to the consumer would just confuse them so a generic message is used.
in programming you always try and use the K.I.S.S method when it comes to the consumer and it saves time not doing additional coding for the function which saves money in the end.

the dash cluster is well equipped enough "hardware wise" to display the error codes and it could probably be programmed in by a 3rd party if they have access to the firmware source code.

while i do not doubt they take the revenue side it in to consideration by having the customer return to the dealer for a minor issue as a programmer i can totally understand that showing technical error information to someone that has no understanding of it can cause more problems than it is worth.

one handy thing is the ability for android auto to access car information directly from the headunit if a manufacturer opens that api and on some VAG vehicles it is possible to pull can info so in the future we may see android auto apps that can show vehicle diagnostics.

the other option is like an app i have been working on which uses a bluetooth obd reader to read the vehicle data and display it in android auto.
the original idea comes from the guy that made aawireless.

i guess we will see what the future holds for these types of apps and what google will allow because they are restrictive when it comes to aa and while hacks exist to allow all sorts of things on aa google blacklists apps that contain these hacks from the playstore.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
… the message is to show that there is a non critical issue being detected which would cause the customer to contact a dealer to resolve it…
That‘s fair enough for average Joe, who doesn’t know or care which hole takes gas, oil or water… but for the rest of us things can be much better as is said earlier
Such an “engineering mode“ would be appreciated by every enthusiast but not by the dealer network itself who really want to smear our cars with oil and grease :mad:
Those unknowing uncaring A-B car aficiados can continue to look at dumbed down messages in the DIC but enthusiasts can set engineering mode and in theory have everything available to them on MyLink :cool:

Heck, i‘m sure a software engineering student could have done what was needed w.r.t. code to realise such over a summer internship (something the mercian’s love… ) if they had access to the MyLink source code and such…

The frustrating thing is that MyLink already reads the can bus messages so it’s not impossible for an app like Torque, or any other readily available app which already exists, to be adapted to Mylink. But GM made a salad of their Mylink App Store and probably made the hoops too great for many/anyone to jump through so nothing came of that idea… pity…

The fact VF MyLink doesn’t have AA/ACP means we’d never have torque app displayed on our MyLink screens but ZB surely could…

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Manufacturers are just catering to the lowest common denominator in their target market...