Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Steering Column Lock message

Brunswick Bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Series 1 Ute
I have parked with the wheels straight, not bumped the steering wheel, disconnected and reconnected the battery, removed and replaced the steering lock fuse and it still persists. One suggestion was to have the error code removed. Still no joy

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if it happens all the time the steering lock module might be starting to fail.

while many people get a false positive with it you will find that they only get it every now and then because of the conditions but if you are getting it all the time then the vehicle is detecting an issue with the module and you can live with it or fix it.

you do not need to worry about it locking while driving because of its design but you may find that it might fail in the locked position and leave the vehicle in an undrivable state and of course that will happen at the most inappropriate time.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
......One suggestion was to have the error code removed. Still no joy...

What was the actual error code (not the message on the display)? Was the code removed with a scan tool?

If you are interested in trying the possible solution of removing/replacing the Control Module electrical connectors a couple of times, to see if that makes any difference, refer to the attachment and follow the Preliminary Procedures from Steps 1 to 6.

Attachments

• VF Steering Column Lock Control Module Replacement.pdf
    953.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Brunswick Bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Series 1 Ute
This may just be a coincidence but the odometer just ticked over 50,000 km and the warning stopped and has not come back for about a week. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Have experience this message several times when the steering is on full lock when shutdown and then when restarting the car this message appears. Turned the wheel away from full lock and turned off engine and restarted and message no longer appears.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have this issue again with my redline and I have had my steering lock replaced under warranty. The last couple of days the message appears but the radio is staying on for a while after drivers door is opened. Maybe the drivers door switch catch is playing not sending a signal to BCM advising door has opened.

I love car electronics.

And to add to this I seem to think the injectors are playing up again especially cold starts in the morning. Maybe time to sell @ 81k kms

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I have this issue again with my redline and I have had my steering lock replaced under warranty. The last couple of days the message appears but the radio is staying on for a while after drivers door is opened. Maybe the drivers door switch catch is playing not sending a signal to BCM advising door has opened.

I love car electronics.

And to add to this I seem to think the injectors are playing up again especially cold starts in the morning. Maybe time to sell @ 81k kms
First thing I'd do is check battery.
Another symptom are any 'U' codes in the BCM. Often indicative of low voltage/poor battery health (but of course, not always!)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
First thing I'd do is check battery.
Another symptom are any 'U' codes in the BCM. Often indicative of low voltage/poor battery health (but of course, not always!)
Thanks, Maybe after 5 years the battery is starting to shot itself.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Thanks, Maybe after 5 years the battery is starting to shot itself.
This was my issue. It was such a mystery. Eventually found 'u' codes which are indicative of loss of communication between various bcm controlled modules. Even charging battery etc. was no good.
Swapped it out for a new one (5 yrs old) and didnt have the issue again.

Reactions: Lex

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
This was my issue. It was such a mystery. Eventually found 'u' codes which are indicative of loss of communication between various bcm controlled modules. Even charging battery etc. was no good.
Swapped it out for a new one (5 yrs old) and didnt have the issue again.
Only had the issue twice last night. I banged the door lock a few times and it didn't have the issue since. I also charged the battery last night but charger was only on for about 20 mins and the battery was fully charged. I'll see how it goes.