Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing Cost

pplugg

Reaction score
Website
mangacityracing.clicdev.com
Members Ride
April 2003 Holden Commodore VY1 Commodore Acclaim
VSAccCom said:
Dude go for it coz u know wat, fords are more overpriced on their services (i know this coz i work there :( ) they charged some n00b 476 bucks TO REPLACE A BATTERY like wtf people, hahah and btw some dude totalled one of the cars, so i would rather live with a ciggaret burn :)

Cigarette burn!!! The car was thrashed to ****! You could tell so easily that somebody was doing burnouts and skids in it. Oh ad abut the Ford thing, I was joking, I could never own a Ford after what I went through wit my first car(A shitty little Corsair) and anyway I took the car back today and they now have the car and will be fixing all the damage. They are also investigating(or so they tell me) about the car being thrashed.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
VSAccCom said:
Dude go for it coz u know wat, fords are more overpriced on their services (i know this coz i work there :( ) they charged some n00b 476 bucks TO REPLACE A BATTERY like wtf people, hahah and btw some dude totalled one of the cars, so i would rather live with a ciggaret burn :)
$476 for a battery? Jesus.. How do they get away with that? What did they say they did?

And a service guy writing off a car? What would happen there? The insurance just paying the market value to the owner, and a cya later?

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
Hey guys
You are all talking about cars still in warranty... I know I have a VK, but I used to be a service advisor working for holden (up until about 9 months ago) and I know a number of the ins and outs.

1: to keep manufacturers warranty, all you need to do is go to a MTA registered mechanic and make sure that they stamp and sign your manual.
2: quite often (mainly due to time restraints as there is a habit through most dealerships to overbook) with a minor service, the oil is changed, if the tech working on the car decides a rotate is worth the time he'll do it and the car is roadtested... thats it. I on a number of occaisions found techs looking through the wheels to check the brakes not even attempting to take them off! and I know after talking to other service advisors that this is not only a local thing, it happens all over the place.
3: if your car is not cleaned or at least as clean as you left it ie. grease marks.. it is simply a sign of a lazy mechanic.
4: the labour rates that are charged are amazingly high! Often upwards of $100/hr inc GST. However, this is easily explained by the massive overheads that a big business like this requires to run efficiently. The only way to avoid this is to go somewhere where the overheads are not so high ie. a smaller workshop.
5: in terms of extended warranty, Yes, Dealerships more often than not have a clause that says that the vehicle MUST be serviced at the particular dealership that the vehicle was bought from otherwise it is voided for good! However, this is only the case during the time of the exteneded warranty, which does not begin until manufacturers warranty has expired eg. 3yrs/100,000km. so you can have your car serviced anywhere else until this time. Also, most of the time, these warranties only cover certain items. things like a clutch, trim etc are not covered. Check your extended warranty book for these details. Also, the majority of times, this warranty will not cover the first $100 or anything over $1000. so there is about $900 that it will cover.

Now for some positives:
While getting your vehicle serviced at a Dealership, the techs can often check your car for items that can be replaced under warranty. If your car is there on a slow day, you may find that the tech has been instructed to check it out extrememly thoroughly to try to find something to do. It also means that they can rectify that annoying clunking noise at the same time as your service is being done and get GMH to pay for it. this also means that you aren't left without your baby for as long.

One more plus for the dealers, if you are consistantly taking your car for a service at the one dealer, they can help a bit more when the car is just a bit out of warranty. for example, you would know about the ticking noise problem in a lot of the LS1 engines which basically required a rebuild. I had a customer once whose VXII 'ss' had 110,000km on the clock and they came in for the 110k service... Their history with us had been quite regular since day one and with the help of the service manager, I was able to talk holden into helping this customer out. The boys at Holden came through and covered the lot!

so... theres the deal

if you want to know any more, just reply and I'll get back to you

happy commodoring!!!

V

VSAccCom

Shounak said:
$476 for a battery? Jesus.. How do they get away with that? What did they say they did?

And a service guy writing off a car? What would happen there? The insurance just paying the market value to the owner, and a cya later?

yeah, the guy brought his car in and said it wont start, he said nrma checked the battery and said its fine, so we tested the batter and its output ohms wherent even strong enuf to sneeze on, so they charged 2 hour labour i think :S (wich is fkd) and like 147 bucks for battery and labour, tax and other ****, but i rekon its a ripoff neways, thats why i would rather get it serviced at a local than a dealer. as for the dude who wrote off the car well he aint there anymore, and he cant really say its wasnt my fault lol.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Yeah I rang the Holden dealer and asked about getting the extension housing oil seal changed.. $190..

Ultratune did it right in front of me, walking me through the whole process, using a genuine Holden oil seal for $90..

I had an older bloke doing it too, not some apprentice.. He knew exactly what he was doing too.. Holden are rip off merchants..

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Shounak said:
Ultratune did it right in front of me, walking me through the whole process ... I had an older bloke doing it too ...
Older mechanics rock. I think its ace that this bloke let you watch. Best way to learn with cars is to see something done.

Back in the days when I was going to Uni (and working part-time), I used to go to a mechanic who'd sometimes ask me to help whenever I needed something done on my car. Among other things, he showed me how to change my own brake pads. Ended up dying from cancer a few years back, but I'll never forget the stuff he taught me.