Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Servicing

CalaisV Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Redline
My car is due for its 45K service and my main stealer has quoted me $540 for the service (basically an oil change as I have an OTR filter). I would prefer to do the service myself as I can choose my oils (and use the correct grade unlike the dealer) and save myself nearly $400 each time.

My question is when I go to resell the car will I have devalued it much as it will not have a service history?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Take it somewhere else that's not a dealer like a workshop or private mechanic, they'll log the service book if you ask them to and you can supply your own oil.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I change oil and filter every 5,000 km or 6 months. Alternate servicing by dealer - every 12 months.
I have always supplied the oil I want the dealer to use in my vehicle(s). If the sump capacity if 6.5 litres that exactly what I supply. Make sure that you advise them when booking the car in so they can make a notation on the paperwork.

p.s. make sure that the oil you supply the Dealer complies with Holden's recommendations (per Owners Handbook)

Last edited:

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
keep all your receipts and mark in log book ..."Serviced by owner" I have seen many a service log book with empty pages or unstamped notations ....should not affect resale value in my humble opinion

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
keep all your receipts and mark in log book ..."Serviced by owner" I have seen many a service log book with empty pages or unstamped notations ....should not affect resale value in my humble opinion

That's EXACTLY what I do and have done for many years, without a problem from a purchaser.
Be sure to use the correct oils as per the book etc. etc.