Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Setting correct odometer with new cluster

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hello all, I'm looking buying a 2016 VF2 SV6, but somehow the instrument cluster has a crack in the lens over the display. Anyone's guess how it happened, but if I buy the car I'd like to replace it. Nearly all of the clusters I see for sale show higher kms than this car, and looking around on the forum it seems that the odometer is stored in the BCM on these cars. Just wondering if anyone has swapped in a higher kms cluster and then was able to program it with GM SPS and have it show the correct value, or if it's additional trouble with a flash programmer directly to the board to fix it?

Been driving Saab's for years and it wasn't possible to set the odometer to a lower value after a replacement, only could be moved forward.

Any one ever seen a crack like this develop before? Pretty odd.

IMG_8266.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If the crack is in the lense only (not lcd) you can replace lense only. Easy job. I've done it...

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Good tip, didn't even think of it...any idea where I might find just the lens for sale?

How did yours get cracked?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Just wondering if anyone has swapped in a higher kms cluster and then was able to program it with GM SPS and have it show the correct value, or if it's additional trouble with a flash programmer directly to the board to fix it?

it does not matter what odo the cluster has on it because it is just a display and only shows the last reading stored from the bcm.
for it to work you will need to have your vin programmed into it and then it will pass the security check and update from your bcm.
if it fails to pass that check it will still display everything but the odo will display -------

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good tip, didn't even think of it...any idea where I might find just the lens for sale?

How did yours get cracked?
Mine was scratched. I believe Holden parts might still sell lense, otherwise a wrecker or ebay

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
it does not matter what odo the cluster has on it because it is just a display and only shows the last reading stored from the bcm.
for it to work you will need to have your vin programmed into it and then it will pass the security check and update from your bcm.
if it fails to pass that check it will still display everything but the odo will display -------
Yes, this is correct. New or second hand instrument cluster needs to be programmed but odo will always be correct as it's not stored in the cluster.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
can u see the vehicle km still ? if not and ur just taking there word for it the display is prob smashed to hide high km, that actual display is glass like a small lcd tv

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes, this is correct. New or second hand instrument cluster needs to be programmed but odo will always be correct as it's not stored in the cluster.
If you replace the BCM with a new one, the BCM will read the odometer reading from the cluster and set it. If you unplug the cluster, you can't program the BCM, so GM have it pretty well sewn up with their programming tools to prevent odometer tampering. There's one way you can do it within the GM system with a new BCM, but it takes the vehicle security PIN that you can't access with the GM System. Only locksmith level key programming software can extract the security PIN. No doubt it can be done with a BCM hack and the odometer reading altered via Eprom re-programming, I guess.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes indeed, like this!

20211027_145218.jpg