Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

setting roller rockers

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
ok how do people go setting up there roller rockers with a new solid cam? i have been told do them up at tdc till you can not turn the push rods easy any more then ad 1/4 to 1/2 a turn extra and then lock them off.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
No mate, that's the way you set up hydraulic lifters. Solid lifters need clearance, your cam card should say what the clearance should be for that cam. Then what you do is get a set of feeler gauges and set the rockers to the desired clearance by inserting the feeler gauges between the rocker and valve tip.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
As above, follow the cams spec sheet.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Ummmmm please correct me people if I am wrong, but I believe that:- If you are installing a 'SOLID' cam you should have 'SOLID' lifters and not be re-using the hydraulic lifters your have???

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
yep your right ^^^^^ mis informed. thanks for your help ill get a set and have a go. so by being a gap however small it is after you remove the feelers the push rod will spin pretty easy and it wont be to tight is this right??

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The pushrod will have no load on it at all with a solid cam/lifters. The clearance will be around the 16 thou mark or there abouts. Did you check the cam card? It'll either have a cold or hot setting, it should say valve lash on the card.