Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shagged box

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Hi guys,

I've got a vr v6 auto ute that needs a new gearbox as far as i'm concerned but i'm just curious if anyone can shed any light on what's caused it to fail.

the gearbox works fine cold but as it heats up the changes get a little longer until the box starts only working with two gears then possibly one. i wasn't really taking notice by that point. it also loses reverse but once it cools down it all works fine again.

I gave it some from the lights after about five to ten minutes driving and it responded really well under heavy acceleration while cold. The computer picked up no faults in the twenty minutes or so i drove it for although the gearbox clearly wasn't having a good time.

Any thoughts? I hate not knowing why it's stuffed.

Fluid looks beautiful and levels fine

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Give it a service. Mine was doing the same but after a filter change it works beautifully.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Joe_222

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Sorry to bring this back up but i thought i'd post in case someone else had the same issues.

Finally dropped the pan on this trans and although the fluid didn't look too bad on the dipstick the fluid in the pan looked like motor oil as a result of fine metal sludge built up over years.

The guy i bought it off didn't care much for servicing and i knew it because he is an old mate so it was no suprise that he hadn't changed the fluid or filter in the 3 or 4 years he'd been running this box.

So i changed the fluid and filter and flushed the trans cooler and now it works like a dream i'd even say it changes a little better than my serviced box on my statesman. Of course i don't expect a long life out of it but at least it's working.

My theory is the metal sludge was clogging the filter and once the box heated up the metal expanded and starved the pump of fluid.

When i drove this thing before i wouldn't have believed the box could ever operate normally again but ElDubya was right.

So if you have similar issues give it a crack and do it thouroughly, flushing is really easy.