Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5, no 5th or reverse

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
So I pulled my t5 gearbox apart a few months ago to replace a busted 4th gear. I ended up swapping parts together from a spare box I had. Put it back together and 1st-4th is fine, just shifting into 5th or reverse is just like hitting a brick wall. Pulled the top case and tailshaft housing off and tried shifting into 5th and reverse and they work fine. I don't know if I haven't aligned the shift forks or something else is wrong.

The casing, tailshaft housing and shift forks are from the same gearbox assembly just the 1st to 4th gear assembly minus 4th since I replaced it. I'm just stumped at the moment.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So I pulled my t5 gearbox apart a few months ago to replace a busted 4th gear. I ended up swapping parts together from a spare box I had. Put it back together and 1st-4th is fine, just shifting into 5th or reverse is just like hitting a brick wall. Pulled the top case and tailshaft housing off and tried shifting into 5th and reverse and they work fine. I don't know if I haven't aligned the shift forks or something else is wrong.

The casing, tailshaft housing and shift forks are from the same gearbox assembly just the 1st to 4th gear assembly minus 4th since I replaced it. I'm just stumped at the moment.
Sychros in good order?

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
Sychros in good order?
I believe so, shifting through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are fine just getting into reverse and sometimes 5th is abit hard. Shifting into reverse is like Hitting a brick wall. But when you take the top plate and rear housing off you can shift into reverse and 5th just fine. I'm going to try just putting the rear housing on and leave the top plate off, see if it's the rear housing or if it's just not aligned properly with the forks.

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67

Attachments

• Resized_20230428_174230.jpeg
    Resized_20230428_174230.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 50