Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] shaved

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
OK guys found a story in extreme proformance issue 55 saying

"All passenger vechiicles must be fiited with external and interbal door locking mechanisms, which allows a means of operating a door latch assembly form both the interior and exterior of the vechicle. Hidden door handles or push button door handles that are not readily visiblt or accessible are not recommended or perrmitted.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Im pretty sure it's illegal in all states cos if you in a crash, fire services may need to get you out etc. even tho they have jaws of life and your cars gonna be shagged if they need to get you out anyways

but im not planning on crashing.. lol

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey, just a bit more on this topic...

I rang the tech. inquiries for the RTA, spoke to a bloke there who seemed quite easy to get along with, who assured me, as long as there was an external linkage, visable, and easy to use, then technically its not removing the door handle, you're just modifying it... (a minor modification)

And until today, I believed it...

UNTILL Mr PoPo man decided to give me a pretty yellow sticker on my windscreen! lmao, after 45 mins of debating it with him, and him giving my car the search from head to toe...

So, I WILL have the answers for you all with in the next three weeks!! lol?

Back on the phone with the RTA, and maybe even an engineer if the need be...

Any one know any engineers??!!

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
Zeussy the cops can slap a yellow sticker on a brand new car if they THINK its unsafe if it passes the pits then that's all good if not fix it try again but good luck any way

skruba

holden, honda, pitbulls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
**** no good zeussy

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys...

Yeah I know what you mean there tivoom, the coppa looked at my tyre placard and was like 225/60 R15's and then looked at my tyres saw they were 20's and was like "ahh they're too big, overall diameter is greater that 15mm above standard"

I was like, "no they're not, measure them"
all he said "its not up to me - (the cop) to prove it is illegal, it up to you - (me) to prove it is legal..."

Pfft... Going by a Tyre Shops Rim and Tyre Calculator my car is fine, coming up at 14.7mm bigger overall diameter than standard! Phewww! lol,

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
theres usually poppers on the outside still tho isnt there, most ppl have a lever at the bottom of the glass so technically u can still open it from the outside. still beats me why would u want to shave the door handles off anyway?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
theres usually poppers on the outside still tho isnt there, most ppl have a lever at the bottom of the glass so technically u can still open it from the outside. still beats me why would u want to shave the door handles off anyway?

Try telling that to the Highway Patrol cop that got me...
That was my argument, all he was saying was "you have removed your door handle completely" and I kept saying "no I havent, I've modified it, here it is" and showed him it working...

And to the last part in you comment;

Why would you want to do anything other that just drive a car? And then when stuff wears out on it, replace it with stock items...?

Why is there an empire of aftermarket parts and accessories to suit almost all makes and models of cars and tastes?

Why does the sun rise/set?

Why does the wind blow?

If you don't know the answers to any of those questions don't bother asking them out loud... :bomb: