Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shift kit for auto

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
personally i would avoid a shift kit unless you are going to experience slippage. will the amount you spend on a proper (eg not electronic) shift kit really give you the $300 odd it cost for the kit in less trans ware? i doubt it.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I hear they also tear the absolute **** out of the driveshaft centre bearing and can also cause issues like "K" frames wear and tearing.
Saw this once on my sons VP SS. A real scary site to se the "K" frame tearing like a peice of paper

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
theburna said:
I hear they also tear the absolute **** out of the driveshaft centre bearing and can also cause issues like "K" frames wear and tearing.
Saw this once on my sons VP SS. A real scary site to se the "K" frame tearing like a peice of paper

I would say so....

Im no expert, but yes, Id say they would wear out the driveline more quickly.

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
i guess it would make things more interesting in the wet...

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
statOman: ok a shift kit wont really change anything in the wet because when you are making the peak power just before redline and so when you shift it will drop back down. it shifts quicker. nothing more.
Tom04: it really depends on the shift kit and in how good nick the trans is. it cant really be generalised like that, but yes it can be a good idea to give the trans a service (old bearings and all that, not just the filter and fluid) before putting in a shift kit. if you're going to rebuild the trans why not just go and put in heavy duty components? a trans rebuild costs a lot and when a stronger shift kit is put in, its pretty much a complete rebuild.

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
I did my own shift kit.. B&M cost me $80 went for the stage 2 and I speak from experience when i say its prolly the best mod iv done to my car so far.. WORTH it in every way.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Notorious said:
I did my own shift kit.. B&M cost me $80 went for the stage 2 and I speak from experience when i say its prolly the best mod iv done to my car so far.. WORTH it in every way.

Is that Hydraulic or Electronic ?

I guessing that's no boost valve, corvette piston or modified separation plate.

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
it is certainly best to rebuild you trans depending on the k's it has travelled obviously, if the tranny is relatively new then dont bother unless you are strengthening the box.
I am about to put a stage two into my vr and i will be rebuilding the gearbox as i have a fair bit of slippage through the gear changes. and its done a few k's

the electronic shift kits are crap dont bother unless you cant afford a proper shift kit!!