Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shocks for improved ride in SV6

andrewr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have a SV6 sedan with stock FE2 suspension and about 65000 km.

In general I like the FE2, but I find it a little harsh over small bumps and poor sections of road. I am wondering whether replacing the shocks would improve it.

There seem to be a few options I could look at:
  • Monroe OESpectrum. I understand Monroe make the original shocks. These seem to be the only ones Monroe list for the SV6 - are they the same as original, or better?
  • Koni Special Active (FSD). They sound good, but they don't seem to offer a specific FE2 version like e.g. Monroe do. As far as I can tell they have the same part number for all the SV6 sedans. I wonder how well the damping is matched to the FE2 springs?
  • Factory original? Maybe after 65000k the shocks have worn enough that they are rebounding too fast from small bumps giving a poor ride? However even when the car was new it was in the back of my mind to look for something better when it came time for replacement.
I don't want to lower the car or go more sporty than the FE2 - I want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

Can anyone make any recommendations or offer any experience? I don't want to replace the shocks and find it makes no difference at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have looked into this and it would seem Koni adjustables are the best under $400 shocks. They are are close to $400, so are more expensive that a few others.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
From memory all factory shocks are the same part numbers, swaybars and sping combinations determine FE1/2/3
And because of this you wont really find any aftermarket offering say FE2 versions, its irrelevant to the aftermarket company.

Koni FSD change the damping rate based on how fast the shock is moving. They are supposed to be a good piece of kit.

I bought some second hand ones for my VE and did a DIY install (followed by an alignment), and i wasnt really happy with them.
But that could have been 300 different things. Every place i went to diagnose it told me something different was wrong.
Ended up being cheap and paying twice (never again buying second hand suspension), and getting coilovers, from a company i also wont recommend.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe after 65000k the shocks have worn

Shocks are pretty much nearing the end of their life, or could be there depending on how old they are too. Are they leaking at all? Cheapest I would go are KYBs, they're pretty good compared to other stuff at the same cost (Monroe, Pedders etc...). Just FYI too shock absorbers won't change your height.

What about tyres/wheels - diameter, pressure, tyre type/age?

andrewr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Shocks are pretty much nearing the end of their life, or could be there depending on how old they are too. Are they leaking at all? Cheapest I would go are KYBs, they're pretty good compared to other stuff at the same cost (Monroe, Pedders etc...). Just FYI too shock absorbers won't change your height.

I don't think they're leaking. Nearing end of life is one reason I was thinking maybe the cheaper option might be satisfactory vs. e.g Koni. Particularly if the Monroes were an upgrade on an original replacement. On the other hand, the price difference isn't large enough to make it worth doing twice!

I know it won't change height, but every other suspension thread seemed to be about lowering so I figured I would emphasize that's not what I want.

What about tyres/wheels - diameter, pressure, tyre type/age?

Wheels are standard, 18" I think. Front tyres are new, same type as original fitment. Rears are same type, but close to replacement time.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you don't want to spend a mortgage payment on the struts but still want decent quality, KYB EXCELG would be one of the best you'll find. Sachs great too but harder to get.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't think they're leaking. Nearing end of life is one reason I was thinking maybe the cheaper option might be satisfactory vs. e.g Koni. Particularly if the Monroes were an upgrade on an original replacement.
pretty sure that original Holden Struts are Monroe's. They were on most models.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
End of life at 65,000km!?
Not a chance. 100,000km, inspect.
When Holden replaced my shocks, I was told that MonroeGT are the ones for Commodores with FE2 suspension. This was for my VZ Executive, changed out at 192,600km (12 years service, one with a broken cover rattling!). The MonroeGT shocks immediately improved stability at the rear, and maintained the characteristics of FE2 (no roll, tilt cornering, or bounce and bumps barely felt). I think this was $370, fitted.
The VF also has FE2 suspension - - I can see the shocks are yellow, so I have no idea what they may be. There should not be any choppy or rough ride, unless you are using midi or low profile tyres (wrong way to go if you want to experience the comfort of FE2).

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Front tyres are new, same type as original fitment. Rears are same type, but close to replacement time.

Eh, buy something else. Holden don't necessarily fit them because they're the best, usually it's because it's some known brand name that they got at a good price by buying in bulk (big brands make budget tyres too, even if the price doesn't reflect it). See this post from last week: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/sv6-e2-bumpyness-problem-need-help.179448/#post-3064458

Whatever it is doesn't have to be as good as Pilot Sports, but there are better tyres out there for cheaper than what was OE.

Not a chance. 100,000km, inspect.

If you're a fan of Monroe they say replace at 80,000. It's a linear(ish) drop in degradation (which is so slow that you never notice) so IMHO waiting for a number to tick over is pointless anyway. Will also depend on what surface you're driving on and how often.

Last edited:

andrewr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
pretty sure that original Holden Struts are Monroe's. They were on most models.

That's what i've heard.

But are the ones Monroe sell to the public the same, or do they e.g. sell shocks built to a particular price point to Holden, and sell more expensive, better ones under their own brand?