Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i buy a VY SS wagon

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
FARKIN YES GET IT!!!!! Best car I've ever owned, the practicality is amazing, surfboards, bikes, bed, huge boot area, forget the kids bring the toys, towing, leather seats, 6 disc cd, FE2 suspension and god damn LS1!!!

I've had mine 3 years and really have no intention on upgrading, you buy engine parts from a sedan (cheap as) and body parts from a V6 and you drive a rare car with great access to dirt cheap parts and mechanical work. Can be thirsty in town but Monaro wouldn't be any worse. Just find a good one because some of them are getting pretty old and molested!

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo, VY Berlina V8 wagon
It's an LS1 from what i can see

Anything i should be worried about, looking for? K's are up there, it's done 230,000

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
FARKIN YES GET IT!!!!! Best car I've ever owned, the practicality is amazing, surfboards, bikes, bed, huge boot area, forget the kids bring the toys, towing, leather seats, 6 disc cd, FE2 suspension and god damn LS1!!!

I've had mine 3 years and really have no intention on upgrading, you buy engine parts from a sedan (cheap as) and body parts from a V6 and you drive a rare car with great access to dirt cheap parts and mechanical work. Can be thirsty in town but Monaro wouldn't be any worse. Just find a good one because some of them are getting pretty old and molested!

You had any real issues with yours?

Nice to find an owner, so thanks for replying.

Was kinda concerned i'd started a Monaro bashing thread, which i should say i had no intention of doing. My Monaro is a fantastic car but when i own 5 superbikes, don't need or really use a sports car, need some practicality too

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
It's an LS1 from what i can see

Anything i should be worried about, looking for? K's are up there, it's done 230,000

Mine started leaking oil from every gasket at around 270,000km, rockers, sump, rear main, etc, Radiator went at around 250,000km, power steering hose burst, just replaced the belt tensioner at 300,000km. Nothing major, just parts that wore out.
Otherwise the engine is great and sounds the same as when I got it at 170,000km, now at 305,000km

Suspension bushes have worn out, tailshaft bearing needs replacing, Oil pressure sender was a bit of a problem, ABS needed fixing.
But that is about the entirety of it.

Still worth it in my opinion.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Yeah mate, if you've got a family, a coupe wouldn't be very practical. The Monaro, to me, is a weekender car for sure. Something to take out by yourself and enjoy.

If you can find a nice VY SS Wagon with good condition leather, you'll be set. Plenty of room for the family and plenty of power for yourself with cheap upgrades compared to other cars (as mentioned above).

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's like any other car. If it has a decent service history then usually you are pretty right.

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
More good input, thanks guys.

Interesting history there sleepa, i wouldn't have expected that many failures on a holden with that many k's... but they don't make em like they used to i guess

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
You had any real issues with yours?

Nice to find an owner, so thanks for replying.

Was kinda concerned i'd started a Monaro bashing thread, which i should say i had no intention of doing. My Monaro is a fantastic car but when i own 5 superbikes, don't need or really use a sports car, need some practicality too

Have had mine from 130,000km to 210,000km now, same issues as any sedan. I've done a water pump, oil pressure sensor, couple of bushes, tail shaft coupling. It's the wagon feature that is the best part about it, I've even laid my postie bike down in the back of it for transport. VY wagon 2700 litres space, VE wagon 2000 litres. And they look pretty good for a 13 year old car, fog lights, body kit all standard for VY SS wagons and leather standard too.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
More good input, thanks guys.

Interesting history there sleepa, i wouldn't have expected that many failures on a holden with that many k's... but they don't make em like they used to i guess

It seems like a lot but that's over 6 years. And to be honest most of it was in the last year.
The radiator was due to age, same as gaskets, and bushes. First time they were replaced so not that bad actually.

The ABS unit was the one thing that confused me, but I got a fella on eBay to repair it.
Either way I think that with original parts after around 10 years old and 250,000km things will start to wear out so make sure you can budget for it, just in case.

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sound pretty reasonable when you put it into context. I had done the valley gaskets and the water pump on the 304 at 220k, Diff maybe at 210, and replaced the fusable link at a similar time. The worst thing about that old girl was the interior that was falling apart, oh and the heater core... **** that was a fun afternoon