Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Side Chrome Strips

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question.. I got a VYII Berlina, and really enjoy the look of the side chrome strip on the Calais. I was just wondering how I could get this on my Berlina?

On my Berlina, the strip on the side is just silver (the colour of the car), but it seems to have a groove on the upper-half which is where the chrome is on the Calais'. Would I need to replace the entire strip with a calais one or is there some kind of chrome from Holden or something that actually fits into that groove?

Thanks,
Ben.

jabsalom

Redline44
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
yeah i was thinking bout doing this as well, from what ive been told (under assumption) that youd have to buy it from holdens and then get the rest colour coded.... youd think it would be able to just get the chrome strip put in the groove.

Sway_OnVY

Its a swan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Most Sign shops will have chrome pinstriping (or gold or black or whatever), Just ask for the width that you want. Maybe try a Signarama, they have heaps of shops all round Oz, if you cant find any let me know, im sure i can track some down.

Sway_OnVY

Its a swan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Wait, sorry Signarama will prob be fair pricey. Try Spandex if your North of Adelaide, Q1 Media if your south.

HSV.006

Apprentice Mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman. CSV strada 5000i.
i think autobahn sell chrome tape

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys

I've been through this with my Berlina.

No pinstripe tape in chrome is available in the width required. The widest you will get readily is only about 8mm or so, less than half the width required,

There is a bloke on e-bay who advertises stainless steel side mould inserts to put on Berlinas. I haven't seen his ad for some time, but the purchase price was about $96 "but it now". He describes the trims as stainless steel with thin double-sided tape applied. You only have to pull the tape protector off and stick the trims on.

A mate of mine recently gave me some chromed plastic strips which he took from a shop display fitting. They used to run along the edges of display shelves. Once the old tape was peeled off, the trims were very thin and were stuck onto the Berlina trims with sikaflex. The strips are only about 12mm wide, but are a perfect fit on the lower section of the recess on the side trims. (If you look closely, you can see that the chrome section "creases" in the middle to fold up over the top of the side moulds.) I don't have that top section done with this method, but it still looks effective and only a "Calais nut" would notice the difference.

Sway_OnVY

Its a swan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Ok so i did some hunting, Im in the digtal print/Signwriting game so i guese i come across this stuff a lot easier then most. If you can find stainless d/s inserts @ 12mm that would be perfect. i havent used skiaflex adhesive on a car before, but im guessin it sticks well. I didnt realise the 12mm was the width either. If this is a common visual mod ppl are after i can source a off cut of chrome vinyl @ 12mm wide no worries. happy to supply required lenghts to who ever wants it! well adelaide anyway, postage other than that can sorted im sure. Just hit me up

Anth1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL Calais
would it just be easier to buy the proper strips from holden? I'm going to look into this tomorrow I'd also like chrome side strips

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
would it just be easier to buy the proper strips from holden? I'm going to look into this tomorrow I'd also like chrome side strips

The chromed sections are not available as separate bits - you wil have to buy the Calais trims (Verrrrry exxyy) then remove your old ones, clean off the old adhesive, paint the new ones to match the car.......need I say more.

If you really want them, the bloke on e-bay is probably your best bet, if he is currently advertising. Look under "VY-VZ Calais" to see if his ad is running at present.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Hye everyone, thanks for all of your replies... Sorry for the late reply myself, Iv'e been over in tassie on a holiday.

Anyway, Sway_OnVY - thanks for ya research, haven't gotten around to calling Q1 Media or anything, but they would probably be my best bet since I live down in Reynella. This chrome vinyl stuff that you are talking about, how would it cope with being on the side of a car?... would it perish much?... I am also interested to know how stainless steel would hold up. I know in my old VS berlina, the chrome side strips had some sort of plastic over them which was peeling off by the time I sold it.

Calaber - thanks for ya reply, I had a look and I can see the 'crease' that you are talking about... to cover only up to that crease, it is about 12mm (as you said), and about 20mm if you include the whole upper section. Does only covering the 12mm look effective though? by the way, that bloke on ebay isn't advertising at the moment and I don't beleive I have seen him for some time (I am always looking up VY - VZ calais in ebay to see whats on there).