Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI E85 Tune

MACE

Reaction score
I suppose this article sums E85 use best

E85 SC145129-132TECH.pdf

The guys who's written it (Martin Donnan) has arguable done the most aftermarket testing with the stuff across a very broad range of vehicles.

The only thing that I would be worry about with running flex fuel is the variance in ethanol content during the year (winter blends run less, summer blends run more) on non E85 vehicles, and if your car sits around for long periods of time as ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts water vapor from air basically).

adr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
For those Series I SIDI owners before you go ordering your E85 tune have a look at this Green Power! VE E85 flex-fuel tuned (thanks BigJim). Might put you off. I hadn't read this till now....will be shattering to go back to stock fuel tune 'cos the E85 is sooooo good. Read post 8.

Mate, I told you about that about a month ago in the United Premium 100 thread, it was in motor mag about the changes Holden made to the V8 to run on E85 ie; hardened type valves, changes to fuel system delivery etc...

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Have put about 100 litres of E85 through it now. I'm getting 15.2l/100 @ 45km/h on the E85. That's not being gentle on it :). Was getting 12.7/100 @ 45km/h on 92/98ron. At the time of last fill at the Caltex E85 was $1.22ltr and 92ron was $1.42ltr. That works out around $18.69/100km on the E85 and $18.34/100km on 92ron. Pretty close from a money perspective and probably cheaper than 98ron. But from a performance perspective there is no comparison as the E85 and subsequent MACE tune is brilliant. Has an interesting smell also sort of sweet and as an added bonus the chrome tips don't seem to be blackening anywhere near the same. Am doing a road trip next week so will update on open road economy.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
so E85 on the SIDI S1 and early S2 (those not E85 capable from factory) is really a DO-IT-AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK thing as it exposes the motor to heavier stress...?

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm tuning my SS on 98 for that reason. It may become an issue on trips etc at least it's available everywhere but good to hear that the E85 tune is preducing good results :)

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
so E85 on the SIDI S1 and early S2 (those not E85 capable from factory) is really a DO-IT-AT-YOUR-OWN-RISK thing as it exposes the motor to heavier stress...?

Yeah definately at own risk from a warranty perspective. I'm still not convinced that the SI and SII SIDIs are that much different and therefore the S1 will be fine + it hammers :)

Not sure about the Alloytecs Kuzman...check with Steve.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
mmmm gonna have a good think about it... i would like power but i cant sacrifice reliability for it. i need some more convincing....

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
^^^^^ Mate most tuners will tune it to 91 95 98 or flex fuel (E85) obviously the most gains are made from 98 and E85 but you can tune to 95. Also E85 can cause cold start problems in cold climates. HOWEVER it makes good power but unfortunately it's availability is scarce I can't even get it out my way.