Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SiDi SV6 -> SS V8

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
Get a Veyron motor... I think an engine swap in a VE would be a nightmare. I'd go F.I It'll be a lot more Unique than a v8 VE.
Just think 2 big fat snails strapped to the side of that DOHC alloy V6... Whoops, now I've got a stiffy...

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi there, just chucking in a few ideas,

I know your insurance doesn't care about what mods are on the car (Your insurance company must be one of the elite few).
I don't know the specific laws and regulations for your state, but something like this would need to be engineered to be street legal.
Your insurance will have this caveat, so keep this in mind, as typically when something goes wrong (And it can be 110% NOT YOUR FAULT),
insurance companies will do their very best to make sure there is a way NOT to pay out.

Increasing the displacement from 3.6L to 6.0L, or 6.3L would definitely require an engineers cert in NSW. (Regardless how many cylinders are involved)

I have seen insurance companies be more than happy to take your money when things are good, and then turn in to complete assholes when things go bad.

To give you an example, a friend of mine had a Holden VB sedan, spent around 7K to get it resprayed, and re-chrome bumpers bits and pieces.
He spent another 5K re-trimming the interior to look stock.
The car was showroom condition, and was his parents FIRST car when they arrived in Australia in the 80s.
Next he stuck triple webbers on the thing.
It was something that he did over the weekend, and to fit the webbers he needed to remove the HVAC blower from the engine bay firewall.
(He was getting something custom made at the time to replace the blower motor).
They guy had told the insurance company that the motor was going to be bored out, have a stroker kit fitted, gear drives, cam, and some other major engine work, which was gong to commence at the start of the week.
The webber thing was him mucking around, just seeing what the engine would be like when things started happening.

The guy literally drove the car 50m to the nearest petrol station to get some fuel, when he was rear ended.
The accident was not his fault, (He was stationary), the other person admitted liability (Crazy), was speeding (showing off), and the chassis on my friends car was badly bent (stat write off).

Both cars were performance cars, and both JUST happened to be with the same insurance company.
My friend had his insurance revoked, because the car was found to be un-roadworthy (the blower motor was not fitted, which was an ADR requirement)... The other car was not covered either, because he didn't declare the rim sizes were increased beyond manufacturers recommendations.

Both drivers were out of pocket for many TENS of thousands of dollars, and they were left to fight it out in the courts amongst themselves.

What I am trying to say here is if there is something out there that can be bought stock, and the manufacturer has done ALL the hard work crash testing, ADRing, and compliance, and the insurance companies have premiums already calculated, and sorted, then I would strongly recommend getting a car that already has the base that you require, and work from there.

The hassle with engineering a car, and constantly trying to explain and prove the modifications have been properly done to an insurance company can be a nightmare and not worth it in itself....

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
cheap too! it should work, might need a little mod work though.

poita89

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden sv6 series 2 thunder
If its series 2 thunder you will just need all electronics for the 6.2 and heaps of patience.. the thunders are virtually an ssv with a 6 cylinder...Gearbox and diff are the same brakes are the same.. I am currently in the process of doing so myself

poita89

Reaction score
Members Ride
And dont worry about the insurance because that model (ve) came out factory with 6.2 ltr in the maloo and gts all you have to do is tell the ato of the change and tell your insurance company

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If its series 2 thunder you will just need all electronics for the 6.2 and heaps of patience.. the thunders are virtually an ssv with a 6 cylinder...Gearbox and diff are the same brakes are the same.. I am currently in the process of doing so myself

Diff, gearbox and brakes are not the same as V8 models.

poita89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Part numbers for internals of gearbox say they are

poita89

Reaction score
Members Ride
That only applies for the thunder

johnnys ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve ssv l77 6speed tr6060
Hi all im new around here johnny the name and 35 years trade mechanic/transmission/electrican exp. Im at the moment doing my 2012 z series sv6 auto convert to v8 6.0 l77 ls3 6 speed manual tr6060. So where do i start , Well now i have read a lot of bulls--t about v6 to v8 swap saying its to hard and change every wiring harness , well i will let you know that a sv6 2010 up and a 2010 ss is 90% the same wiring and mechanical side is the same to. So let me break it down, mechanical and electrical so start with the easy part - MECHANICAL remove v6 & transmission with its wiring harness and tailshaft, remove radaitor, remove brake pedal assembly, remove dash cluster, and remove fuel flow control module thats it, Now install your new brake pedal and clutch pedal assemble[you can change the firewall plate or just do what i did is just cut out the thin plate yourself i use my plasma cutter to easy] install the v8 in the k-frame [as all ve k-frames 2006-2013 the SAME] bolt up the box install tailshaft but you have to change the rear diff flange v8 is abit bigger or you can do what i done was change over the v6 rear tailshaft end to the v8 front end section and all v6 & v8 diff gears are the SAME ok now the exhaust on the sv6 is 2/1/4 inch round but will bolt up straight to the v8 cats and power steering pump are the SAME and a/c hoses on the v8 bolt on the sv6 because the a/c condensor the same v6 & v8. Now wiring side - you need the v8 engine harness with the body harness which includes to fuse box harness[the v6 & v8 fuse box is the same and are the gmh part numbers] the sv6 throttle pedal is the SAME. the ecm e38 module i send it away for reflash to remove the VATS so its standalone [so the bcm is no longer connect to the ecm when starting thats all the bcm does with the ecm] and allso get the bcm, ebcm[abs],fuel flow control module, and dash cluster for reflash and change vin number for communications on the can bus system or you can just use tech 3 via obd plug thats it drive away enjoy but allso change the front brakes to v8 as its only the bracket you change and all v6 & v8 front stud hubs are the SAME ok......hope this makes you want go out now and convert your baby now, its cost me for full conversion was $6500 including radaitor & flashing cost, did all work myself so if any questions feel free to hit me up .......cheers guys Johnny