Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sludge fix

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
That sucks big time mate, it's a good looking car though.
I am really shocked at the sludge buildup in the oil filter.
I have seen a diesel hilux that went almost 40,000km's without an oil change and that wasn't anywhere near as bad as your engine is.
You could try what markovr did and hope like hell that it will save the engine.
It does kinda look like a worst case scenario and you will probably need to source another engine.

Haha probably ex company car. What a heap of ****.

Wow... Your helpful advice and superior mechanical knowledge and experience just blows me away...:clap:
Hope you get the same sort of brain dead response if you ever ask for advice or help...:undead:

Last edited:

Hornet05

VZ SV6 hot red
Reaction score
Website
www.brock05.com
Members Ride
VZ SV6 hot red
Thanks guys, my fears look like are going to happen, another engine , which I can't afford, so might just rebuild this one, and yes it is a nice looking car. Even on test drive which I gave it heaps, it ran fantastic, until it warmed up after I bought, towed home and still sitting in yard, .cheers

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Thanks guys, my fears look like are going to happen, another engine , which I can't afford, so might just rebuild this one, and yes it is a nice looking car. Even on test drive which I gave it heaps, it ran fantastic, until it warmed up after I bought, towed home and still sitting in yard, .cheers

Give us a rundown please on what it says in your books re. servicing as in how often and last serviced using what oils over the years, and how many Ks has it done?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Jus purchased a sv6 VZ , only had it 1 week and now it's in pieces with sludge so big I would call crude. Hopefully pics upload, so anyone with ideas on fixing or cleaning it, beside new motor.
full strip down

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Mate as Gossie said a run down on your purchase regarding service history, if any, may just help someone else from making a big mistake.
So sorry you are up for a reco engine, be sure that you change the oil and filter at a much earlier interval say between 5000 and 7500 klms intervals and you will have it for a long time to come . Make sure you document each service for when you eventually sell it to show its been looked after, good luck. also fit a catch can.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Even after using 10 litres of ferris veet (you mix it with water) and degreasing every part of the engine I could get to, it took a age for all the small bits to stop appearing in the filters and I didnt take the cams off ...now I wish I had of as one the lash adjusters is a little noisy.
I stuffed rag in the oil drain holes and filled up the head with a layer of degreaser and let it sit for half a hour then scrubbed it off and moped up the mess and then used a old vacuum cleaner to suck out the reminances. Repeat repeat repeat....one head took a whole night...bottom end was a nightmare too but it had to be done so it got done.

Hornet05

VZ SV6 hot red
Reaction score
Website
www.brock05.com
Members Ride
VZ SV6 hot red
Unfortunately no books with it, so going to source a set so I can keep track on it, it has done 203,000 Ks , still goes well, and in good nick, that's the reason I bought it.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Prospective buyers can always ask sellers for details of the vehicle service history. If it's been serviced at a Dealer then their records can also be useful. If you are not satisfied with the answer or lack therof regarding servicing then walk away - probably saved yourself a heap of money and heartache.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've had a lot of cars over the years and purchased several for family, and I always ask over the phone before wasting time looking at it if they have the original books that came with the car.
If the answer no then I thank them and call the next one. A roadworthy to me is also a must. If no RWC what are they hiding?

No books usually means the vehicle has not been serviced/looked after, and "losing" the books is the easy way out for the seller to get a wood duck to purchase it.

There can be exceptions when I have purchased cars/jetskis/motor cycles for myself to rebuild/repair.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
No books usually means the vehicle has not been serviced/looked after, and "losing" the books is the easy way out for the seller to get a wood duck to purchase it.

not always.

my current ute, the owners said the dealership had lost the books.
i called her bluff and rang the dealership, turns out she was telling the truth and the dealership had lost them. the dealership then provided me a copy of their records in regards to the vehicle.

i'm the exception that proves the rule :)

my silvia, i got with no books. was able to track down the mechanic and find out the service history. when i sold the silvia, it included all my receipts of work done.

anyway, moral of the story, no books doesnt always mean not serviced. always do your homework.