Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 sv6 timing

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
Hi all, have a 2007 sv6 195kw
Engine light P0008
Took of most of top of engine parts off to inspect chain and as I can see at TDC it is about 1/2 a chain tooth out from the circle timing mark on camshaft still runs good though
Am I going to have to replace the whole timing kit or maybe some components?
This car has 333xxx ks on it and for its mileage the oil sludge is very minimal which is somewhat decent, with the ks I don't want to replace a whole kit for the motor to crap it's pants a few K down
Whats the best solution or fix, I know about the parameter update but that's not fixing the problem.

( I have never done a timing chain before but would like to try)
Tried to upload photos but file is too large

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
genuine is the best holden mace engineering revhigh there on here in the sponsor section and this thread lot of good info and youtube vids to watch
[/URL]
revhigh https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forums/revhigh.255/ you could also change change oil pump which is recommended
How long does this job take for the average Joe, I mean I was halfway there before when look at chains on cam shaft

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Bugger Im not living in Aussie I'm in NZ and garages want around 3k mark
cost can very even here and it will take best part of day with no dramas but study the youtube vids on the last page of the thread i linked
he makes it look so easy

Reactions: Lex

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How long does this job take for the average Joe, I mean I was halfway there before when look at chains on cam shaft
Having never done one before it took me around 14 hours, mines SIDI though so theres a bit more stuff to move than the earlier models.

It's not as simple as just lining up the marks and slapping the chains on, theres 2x stages of cam timing on the alloytecs so you need to do one chain, roll the motor over to the next stage of timing and do the next one etc.

It's not as simple as the old dot to dot method in conventional pushrod engines.

Theres plenty of good guides online but it's certainly not for the faint of heart.

Last edited: