Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sludge fix

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
A job well done. A real credit to you and your persistence. :clap:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Thanks for compliment...just did about 2200 kms in 4 days in it on a Bathurst trip and it ran faultless at speeds at times upwards from 140 and oil pressure ran around 40 to 50 lbs (i now have a permanent gauge on the dash) at cruising speeds...so I hope to never see inside the sump/engine again with attention to service intervals...... 7000-10000 or 6 months

Last edited:

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Mate I honestly didnt think you would ever get that mess clean, unbelievable job, congratulations, You have really taught people how to be persistent, glad it going well.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
What causes this problem

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not servicing the engine, and quite probably cheap oil used and running it for a very long time.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for compliment...just did about 2200 kms in 4 days in it on a Bathurst trip and it ran faultless at speeds at times upwards from 140 and oil pressure ran around 40 to 50 lbs at cruising speeds...so I hope to never see inside the sump again with attention to service intervals.

Well done mate.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
What causes this problem
For me it was going by the service intervals gm had set and because there is no way of seeing inside the engine without pulling it apart nothing to gauge my actions by...engine showed no signs of anything until the pickup screen clogged up and the oil warning came up.
Not servicing the engine, and quite probably cheap oil used and running it for a very long time.
That could be true but I always used the right oil specified and at the start the gm oil...and service intervals of 15000 kms...Previously I saw plenty of horror stories of gummed up alloytecs and just thought the ones I saw had never been or been poorly serviced but I was wrong ..it can happen to any alloytec is serviced to 15000 intervals especially on a engine that does a lot of short trips in this interval and the oil only gets to a normal operating temperature for a short period of time ...almost like a small coating that is put on and on and happens repeatedly over a long time until it finaly blocks something up

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Tell you what threads like this make me nervous! I'm 80% confident the inside of my engine is squeaky clean. The other 20 % wants to pull the rocker covers off just to check it's not caked in sludge and starving the expensive bits from oil.
One things for sure my car has never been used for regular short trips so not reaching operating temp was never an issue. The original owner did 1000ks a week ...
Fingers crossed!

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Strangely enough I don't recall ever seeing sludge like that in the engines of cars in the 60s.
Back then it was only mineral oils, however the oil changes were much more frequent than today and the oil filter huge in comparison to the VE of today.