Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

smoke coming from engine bay after new exhaust

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
i just put on a full exhaust system, and made some posts previously about exhaust leaks and all that. so pretty much i had some leaks in the headers, and my catback wouldnt fit, a new header gasket and another catback later, everything seemed not too bad. i started the car and from the sounds of it theres no leaks at all, it sounds mint. but 30 sec after starting my car, f*ckloads of smoke started coming from the engine bay, and it smelled like sh*t. i dont think its an exhaust leak because the sound of the exhaust sounds much better then when it was leaking. i remember someone saying it may be the paint. i also havent plugged in all 4 02 sensors because im waiting for extensions.
any help would really be appreciated, cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It will be the paint on the headers (depending on brand) and or any oils and other fluids that find their way onto exhaust systems when they are handled when been installed

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
It will be the paint on the headers (depending on brand) and or any oils and other fluids that find their way onto exhaust systems when they are handled when been installed
how long would it take for the smoke to go away if i leave it running do you reckon?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
What brand of headers did you use?

It's hard to say but it'll take a little while.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They were cheap headers and they are painted so will smoke heaps.

It’s normal. Go for a drive and it will be fine after that.
Might get a smell to it for the next week or so depending on length of drives.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
What brand of headers did you use?

It's hard to say but it'll take a little while.
there black ops headers and cats, i texted my boss and he reckons that there may be wires touching it, i looked out there just then and the positive terminal wire is touching the headers and where its touching, the heat shield is falling off a bit. but i dont think that the wire could produce that much smoke

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
there black ops headers and cats, i texted my boss and he reckons that there may be wires touching it, i looked out there just then and the positive terminal wire is touching the headers and where its touching, the heat shield is falling off a bit. but i dont think that the wire could produce that much smoke
That’s the exact wire that would produce smoke, and bugger all the modules in the whole car, and make a big fire.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
That’s the exact wire that would produce smoke and a big fire.
f*ckkkkk, i dont think its actually burned into the wires, just the heat shield, but ill try and move it out the way

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, yup. that will do it too.

Good learning experience to make sure anything that can burn isn't against something that burns ****.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
LOL, yup. that will do it too.

Good learning experience to make sure anything that can burn isn't against something that burns ****.
alright glad i hopefully figured that out, ill try and zip tie it out of the way so its not touching. cheers for your help guys.