Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snake Season

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Well, two brown snakes crossing the road around the corner from where I live in two days. First one was sadly flattened by a car. And to make matters WORSE, it's obvious based on the location that the driver swerved to DELIBERATELY hit it! Maks me SO angry!

The second one I got to before it suffered the same fate. Moved off the road and into the local scrub/rockery.

FB_IMG_1476432063783.jpg
FB_IMG_1476432072436.jpg

Also saw one out on the road about 15min drive away.

Apparently it's going to be a busy snake season this year. I've booked in to do the nationally accredited venomous snake handling course in order to become licences so I can let my local area know to call me and I'll come relocate them rather than have morons killing them! Two day course next month.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Lots of work for snake handlers/catchers up here in north Qld.
Mostly scrub pythons in roofs or found consuming the pet cat or dog...(yea it does actually happen)

I like snakes, they get a bad wrap most of the time.
I don't see many snakes around my apartment building, maybe the occasional small tree snake variety.....lots of skinks, which I regularly watch in the garden while having a cuppa on the patio

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I think that's a brilliant idea that you go playing around with venomous snakes

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
No playing. It's not a game.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Well I learnt something new today......I didn't know that they had brown snakes in Los Angeles.

In all seriousness though, was good of you to get it off the road and out of harms way.
I f##king hate people that just run them over cause their on the road

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally I hate snakes....Especially venomous ones, so seeing one squished makes me happy.

I have relatives that live a 30 minute drive away from the nearest hospital....Frequently during the snake season, they see them and they kill them without a 2nd thought....Why.....They don't need to have their kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews bitten by one and have to rush to the hospital, hoping they survive. And yes, these lovely kritters love hanging around the door ways, waiting for an opportunity to come in and say hello.

So all good and fair to say you hate people killing them and get a professional in to remove them safely, but when you live out in the sticks, the only option they see is, remove them permentally....In the city region, yes a different story....Get the professionals in

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
I'm sorry but NO snake in Australia will seek out people or actively attack them. All they ever want to do, is get away from humans. Far better than killing them (and risking a bite in the process) is proper education. See one, calmly go the other way. Different when it's on your property or in your house but they will NOT attack you even then. They will try to get away from you. A lot of local councils have a free service where they send the snake catcher out. It's also against the law to kill them!

Please, just leave them alone. Or if they're actually in your way, have them removed and relocated. They're innocent creatures who get a bad reputation simply due to having venom glands.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Im glad we dont have snakes in NZ..

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I think that's a brilliant idea that you go playing around with venomous snakes

He wont have to play with them, he'll just repeatedly tell it how wrong it is about everything until it cracks the shits and goes away

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
He wont have to play with them, he'll just repeatedly tell it how wrong it is about everything until it cracks the shits and goes away

No I won't. That's just plain wrong.