Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snake Season

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I am sorry but Herron SSV's comment was just too funny.

I have nothing against you Raj and enjoy reading your posts but you have to admit that comment takes the cake.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
For those interested, this is the sort of handling involved... Safe enough when done right.

Last edited by a moderator:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I personally hate them, but I still won't kill them, they were here before us and just trying to survive.

My brother was bitten on the ankle about 8 years ago by one on the driveway at home at night.
I rushed him to the small town hospital, to only discover the nurses had no ####ing clue what to do. Calling other hospitals asking what to do. The ambulance team arrived and rushed him to another hospital 45mins away.
Thankfully the bite was a dry bite and did not get any venom into his system.
I would hate to think if it was a poisonous bite what could of happen due to the lack of knowledge the nurses had on the situation.

Working on a farm while growing up I encountered many snakes, most will just go about their day, only had a few brown snakes have a few snaps at me then take off. Brown snakes are the cranky ones around.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Keep a Red Bellied Black snake around and you won't have a Brown snake problem

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

Yes and no. It depends more on the size of snakes than the species. Typically Red Bellies get bigger than Browns so eat Browns more often than the other way around. But generally speaking a snake will eat another snake (or lizard) that's small enough for it to eat. Even Blue Tongue lizards have been known to eat smaller venomous snakes. Also, they'll cohabitate. Brown Snake and Blue Tongue lizard, both of a size that wasn't small enough for the other to eat, living in the same hole.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm sorry but NO snake in Australia will seek out people or actively attack them. All they ever want to do, is get away from humans. Far better than killing them (and risking a bite in the process) is proper education. See one, calmly go the other way. Different when it's on your property or in your house but they will NOT attack you even then. They will try to get away from you. A lot of local councils have a free service where they send the snake catcher out. It's also against the law to kill them!

Please, just leave them alone. Or if they're actually in your way, have them removed and relocated. They're innocent creatures who get a bad reputation simply due to having venom glands.

Hummmm....Snakes will seek out a place to get water, or out of the weather....Hence, why some are found INSIDE a house, especially in the bush. A snake will attack, if they are disturbed...It's their defence mechanism....Example of a defence attack.....Little kid goes to the cupboard to grab a cup out for a drink. Little kid grabs blindly for the cup, but accidently grabs lovely snake. Lovely snake bites poor innocient kid and then retreats into the rear of said cupboard, waiting for the next person to come along and disturb it.

I have personally had the pleasure of turning up at a rellies place and getting a friendly greeting from a Brown.. I was ready to step out of the car, when I happened to noticed him investigating a new hiding place...Luckily I spotted it, before stepping on it.....It was that close to the car....I called out to the old man and he promptly came with shovel in hand and removed the snakes head from it's body.

Yes it may be against the law to kill them, but you have to be caught first.....And the people I know that live around my rellies aren't going to dob any one of their neighbours in for killing a snake, because they all do it, for their own self-defence.

BTW, the area the rellies live in, the council depot is 100 kilometres away....So do the math....1 hour for them to get from the depot to the area, + what ever time it takes for the worker to get to the depot, + the time to contact the necessary worker.....Then the time it would take, for the worker to scour 2 acres of house land, to find the snake and remove it, if it is on the house land... .Mr snake would be loong gone, plotting his next hiding spot

And when you have a little spare time, investigate in QLD, where Biggenden, Gayndah, Bam Bam Springs and Maryborough are....The rellies live inbetween Biggenden, Bam Bam Springs and Gayndah and their nearest council is Maryborough....This may help you understand why these country folk kill a snake, rather than get a professional remove it

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2

Keep a 410 shottie and you wont have either.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
"I'm sorry but NO snake in Australia will seek out people or actively attack them. All they ever want to do, is get away from humans. Far better than killing them (and risking a bite in the process) is proper education. See one, calmly go the other way. Different when it's on your property or in your house but they will NOT attack you even then. They will try to get away from you. Please, just leave them alone. Or if they're actually in your way, have them removed and relocated."

Try explaining that to a two year old, like the poor little bugger helping to collect eggs and was bitten 3 times by the tiapan.