Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So i saw all these cop cars today...

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
SPOT ON!!! :thumbsup:

There are so many cops there because it's scary how many cars are unregistered and drivers unlicensed. They are the chase vehicles usually.

Yes it could have been a camera... it was circular in shape... sort of like a cylinder if i can remember. Was facing only one direction of traffic. Do these cameras pick up speeders too?

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Isn't there a McDonalds on Bell Street?

It was probably some sort of traffic operation or like someone else said a 'group shot'. Maybe taking some promotional pics for a magazine or paper.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yes it could have been a camera... it was circular in shape... sort of like a cylinder if i can remember. Was facing only one direction of traffic. Do these cameras pick up speeders too?

No, its just linked to a program that searches numberplates.

I'm sure they could adapt something onto it, or to work in conjunction with it, to catch speeding people aswell.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Isn't there a McDonalds on Bell Street?

It was probably some sort of traffic operation or like someone else said a 'group shot'. Maybe taking some promotional pics for a magazine or paper.

The macca's is on the corner of st georges rd... this was way down towards heidelberg, a few kms away. I doubt it was a group shot as cops were on either side of the road, and there was no camera men... plus they were scattered all over the joint facing different directions.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
It could have been part of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) trial. On that part of road it would have been going off every minute or two. It detects expired regos as well as cross referencing the registered owners licence (if it's suspended/disqualified/expired). I think it also checks them for outstanding warrants.

Steery

AA 554 G
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR SS M5
at least its not in adelaide

just a heads up adelaide people with defectable cars. you should probably be cop dodging for the next week or so. i was talking to an officer (a relative) who will not be named here, and he told me there had been 500 defected cars (give or take, its obviously not exactly 500), most of which were modified commodores, skylines or silvias/180's in the last 2 days.

they are on a spree.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It could have been part of the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) trial. On that part of road it would have been going off every minute or two. It detects expired regos as well as cross referencing the registered owners licence (if it's suspended/disqualified/expired). I think it also checks them for outstanding warrants.
Its happening again.....

at least its not in adelaide

just a heads up adelaide people with defectable cars. you should probably be cop dodging for the next week or so. i was talking to an officer (a relative) who will not be named here, and he told me there had been 500 defected cars (give or take, its obviously not exactly 500), most of which were modified commodores, skylines or silvias/180's in the last 2 days.

they are on a spree.
Its already been trialed in SA. I saw it over a year ago out the front of Holdens being trialed.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
not the cameras man, cops themselves are going nuts on defects this week.

believe me or not, your choice. but its happening.

Doesn't effect me anyway ;)

natas.308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
I think it is the computer that recognizes numberplates, and then checks for unlicensed drivers etc.

They were trialled here a while ago, and in other states.

exactly, they have them set up all the time in sydney, the cameras on the tripod are actully scanners, they can scan quite a few cars per second, and if anything suss comes up they will pinch you 200 meters down the road.
i was caught by one of these driving a mates car whilst he was susspended at the time and got pulled over, the coppa xplained it all to me when he realised i wasnt the regested driver.