Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

so whats everyones electronic background here?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
No car stuff as yet, computer stuff I ace, changed LEDs paint jobs etc on my computer, splicing cables whatever

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
My old man is a sparky by trade, so I've picked up a whole stack of stuff from him. Other than that, I've been blowing up dicksmith kits and secondhand computers ever since I was 5 (17 years ago). I'd build them, 'tinker' with them and when they stopped working I had to fix them.

I've been mucking around with all things electronic since 5yo, so without any formal training (in electronics) I can hold my own. I did study physics at university though, and as part of that they made us actually study basic electronics.

F

Frd_thmsn

hakhawk said:
i got into electronics after playing with my remote control car that dad bought for me when i was born, but he played with it, and an old dse fm microphone kit dad had that was stuffed. from there i grabbed every electronics class i could get at highschool, did all sorts, then i found computers, and got sidetracked, found them more fun, i was offered a traineeship at a electronics store in mildura, i really shouldve taken that, but instead moved to QLD.

havent done any uni or tafe courses, never really liked school, so i dont think i could handle it.

ive been hanging to play with electronics again lately, with some of the stuff im doing with my project car, i need an etch tank and uv box.

Unless your Dad thought you were gifted I'm pretty sure that he bought the remote control car for himself , knowing that your little thumbs wouldn't be able to use the controls for a few years.:drink: Pretty much the same way that I buy my wife power tools for her birthday .:dance:

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
my electronic background is really great, i once got electrocuted cause my mate said nothing would happen to me if i stuck a fork on a wall socket when it was turned on.(man 10 years old was a great age)

should have bet him, showed him he had no idea what he was on about

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Frd_thmsn said:
Unless your Dad thought you were gifted I'm pretty sure that he bought the remote control car for himself , knowing that your little thumbs wouldn't be able to use the controls for a few years.:drink: Pretty much the same way that I buy my wife power tools for her birthday .:dance:

yeh, i didnt even know the damn thing existed til i was about 12, he later told me he played with it til i was old enough.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
no qualifications here. just couldnt afford to/ or get the cars to sparkys so ive been fixen all my sparky probs since my first car(a galant s/wagon) about 15 year ago

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
been into computers for aslong as i can remember, both my brothers a in the industry and im a 1st year studying computer systems engineering,

VERY electronical based, stuffed round alot with pcs, know them inside and out and have a refined soldiering technique :p

recently got into car electronics (installing entire sound system) and install alarm at the moment yeah suppose thats my story

oh eyah and surface mount soldiering is a pain in the ass with a thick point iron... still doable but yeah a pain in the ass lol

lol MikeVXSS, my brother stuck a 12V motor in the wall socket to try and make it go faster, luckily his knee was grounding his arm... the current went through his arm then left and bipassed his heart... consider your self lucky your not dead, dosnt take much current to kill you providing its in the right area (ie 600mA through your heart can cause it to stop, wall sockets can carry alot more than that... a few hundrea Amps)

Maginoodle yeah its not cheap aye??

Lol hakhawk and you still play with it to this day ;)

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
ive worked as a backyard auto elec for bout 4 years or so. ive worked with bout 9 quallified auto elecs all up and picked up tricks of the trade from all of them. ive worked in auto elec workshops and on a countless number of cars. from stereos, to lights, to engines, to fault finding etc.

there isnt much i havent seen done or done myself. i give anything a bash. but even the best auto elecs get stumpped every now n again. posting questions is the best way to learn.

E

electric_monk

I've always tinkered with things and must have been electrocuted around 4 times now, always lucky to get out alive from stupid mistakes like that but it's
part of what happens when you take apart things and learn more about how they work. I've tried around 18 months of an Electrical Engineering degree but am now more focussed on looking for an Apprenticeship as an Electrician.

"I started a computer engineering degree when I finished school... got 18 months into it and chucked it in. Advanced physics was just too much. The lecturers and tutors were arrogant pigs too. How dare you even think about asking them a question, you should know the answers from what they said in the gobbledigoop in the lecture... I hated uni so much. I'll never go back and finish the degree, not that I need it now anyway."
Know exactly what you mean, the physics teachers are always so up themselves, I did listen but questions arose which they wouldn't answer without being a real a**hole everytime so I dropped the subject to pick up later. In total I did around 18 months of Electrical Engineering before I dropped the degree because of the dodgy teachers in engineering physics and some related subjects, but still have a really big interest in electronics.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
I once built an AlfaSud. Still the best handling car I have ever driven but a wiring nightmare. They only use about 4 colours and the wire can go into the loom one colour and gauge only to emerge in a surprise location in a completely different colour and gauge. That how I learned to use a multimeter.

Been belted by volts a couple of times and chucked across a room cos I stuck my hand in the back of an old TV when I was about 14.

I design broadcast systems for a living now so car wiring diagrams are a doddle... sometimes.