Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So, you want to keep your stock headunit....

B

brockyslovechild

It is Possible!!

In my recently sold VYSS(still crying over it), I was running 2 x Rockford 12", powered by 600.4 Kicker 4 ch amp. Front splits(factory) were running from 2 channels of amp, other 2 bridged to run subs! I put rca converters on front factory speaker output wires with rca splitters to provide 4 channel input on amp! Was lucky enough to have remote sub controller that came with amp so I could control bass output seperately to front splits, even though they were running from same output from h/u.. End result was a hard running system that could produce good clean sounds at high levels! So in my experience you can achieve good sounds from a factory h/u as long as it is done properly! There are wiring diagrams somewhere within this site that will tell you exactly which coloured wires you need, I used these diagrams to install my system. I asked all the questions I needed to ask in here b4 installing so I wasn't going in blindfolded, it was all too easy! A big hello to 12Voltking, haven't been on here for ages but thanx again for your help back when!!

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a VX Berlina.. I have bought a calais headunit and the rear subs but that is proving to be a bit too hard to set up... is their a way i can either connect the subs to the berlina headunit, or possibly buy a new sub and connect that some how?

Many thanks

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi guys. I have a VX Berlina.. I have bought a calais headunit and the rear subs but that is proving to be a bit too hard to set up... is their a way i can either connect the subs to the berlina headunit, or possibly buy a new sub and connect that some how?

Many thanks

the calais also used an external amplifier, the 2x8" subs wont plug straight of the headunit, so u will need to track one down, but im not sure your car will have wiring provisions for it? the only way to connect a aftermarket sub is with hi-lo converters in your case,unless the amplifier has high level inputs. cheers

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
just digging this thread up. i did the right thing and searched...

im a bit confused with all the jibber-jabber above, so i was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram of how i'd go about running an amp (more than likely a 4 channel) off a stock VZ Berlina stereo (6 stacker, if it makes a difference..)

the missus wants better speakers all round but wants to keep the stock headunit. thanks :)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You will need to "tap" into the stock speaker wiring, this basically means just stripping back the wires without cutting them completely and connecting (soldering) new speaker wire onto each.

The run these new cables to wherever you want to mount the amp (probably in the boot). Depending on which amp you buy, some will have a "high" or "speaker" level input, in which case you will need to connect your speaker cables to this plug (it'll come with a plug). If it dosent have high level inputs then you'll need a line out converter.

Line out converters convert speaker wires into RCA cables. If you buy a 4 channel amplifier you'll need a 4ch. LOC or 2x 2ch. LOCs. Cheap LOCs most of the time will introduce interference into the system (annoying) so it pays to spend a little more on a decent quality version.

Do you need to know how to connect / wire up the power/remote/earth wires?

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
so does one set of speaker wires (positive and negative of one speaker) turn into one RCA cable with two plugs?

im assuming from what you've wrote you have to tap into each set of speaker wires that you want amplified?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
One pair of speaker wires (+ and -) turns into one RCA plug, so left and right speaker cables turn into a left and a right RCA plug.

Youre basically right......say you want to amplify your front speakers.....then you would cut the speaker cables before they go into the doors in each corner of the dash. Then connect the speaker cables coming from the head-unit to the LOC or the high level input of the amp. The other speaker wires that run into the door that go to the speaker need to be connected to the output of the amplifier (both sets of wires lengthened as necessary).

If you wanted to add a sub then you would "tap" into the rear speaker wires and run these to the LOC / high level inputs of the sub amp. This way you still keep your rear speakers connected and get the audio input you need for the amplifier to power the sub.

Hopefully you get what i mean, it can be confusing....if you like i can draw up a quick diagram on paint.

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
so in theory all we're doing is using the wires from the two front speakers as RCA cables? sounds easy :)

all i need to know now is whether a VZ Berlina has a seperate speaker cable for its factory tweeters? (if theres even factory tweeters in it? theres a spot for them in the dash so i assumed so).

ill probably just cut that off and run a decent set of splits off the amp once ive used the old speaker cables with the LOC as RCA's.

i think she wants a sub so i might have to tap into the rear speakers to do that then :)

how much roughly are LOC's?

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
NO, I dont want to keep my stock, Sh1tty head unit! Why not just get a new one, I did. High level inputs suck and will sound awful. New head units are cheap and double to single din converters are cheap as too.
Get a PAC swi-jack steering wheel remote unit from ebay to keep your steering wheel buttons, and get rid of that crappy oem headunit! New headunits offer usb input, bluetooth and so much more than standard.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
When this thread was written it was aimed at vy-vz when there was no fascia kit available for them. There was virtually no other option then.