Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

B

brentasaurous

in the manual! haha otherwise it is really simple, i learnt as i went along.
remove the steering wheel
undo the four screws that are on the underside of the cluster
unclip the connections that connect the cluster buttons
pull the cluster out
remove all the screws on the back and i think theres four down the bottom of the front of the cluster
unclip the clear plastic cover
unscrew the four tiny screws that hold the gauge face in place and pop off the needles carefully, you can use a fork if you need but be careful
remove the gauge face and you are now into the guts of the gauges!

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina & HQ Statesman
Removing the needles

I just realised that on my tacho dash, all i did was remove the clear plastic front and surround. Then i undid the 3 nuts holding the tacho in place and removed the tacho. Then i took out the small circuit board at the back and thats where the voltage regulator was. Resoldered that and replaced all parts and it worked. I never had to touch the needles on any of the gauges. I wonder if its different with non tacho dashes?

Flip03

Born to drive
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
hey mate read ur post thought it was great well discribed gave it a crack now my fuel gauge works every time save meself a few $$$ thanks heaps

wayno55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 wagon
brentasaurous said:
in the manual! haha otherwise it is really simple, i learnt as i went along.
remove the steering wheel
undo the four screws that are on the underside of the cluster
unclip the connections that connect the cluster buttons
pull the cluster out
remove all the screws on the back and i think theres four down the bottom of the front of the cluster
unclip the clear plastic cover
unscrew the four tiny screws that hold the gauge face in place and pop off the needles carefully, you can use a fork if you need but be careful
remove the gauge face and you are now into the guts of the gauges!

you don't need to take the wheel off if its a stocker, but i don't know about any other wheel

MR.SV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SV5000 *BURNT* :(
Thanks man,will come in very handy! Recently paid 'bout $100 to get my sticky tacho fixed (dry solder joints) while I was getting my power steering rack replaced...when I picked the car up they kindly informed me that my fuel needle was getting a little sticky as well. Thanks bastards!!! I have since become one of frustrated 'VN dash-bashers'

Last edited:

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
hey all

My Tacho in my car annoys the hell out of me... You give it some juice and say it goes up to 1500 to 2000 and then just stays there... would that mod fix this very annoying problem??

Cheers guys

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
Hey all

I tryed that little Mod and now my tacho sits at the " X1000" area below the whole tacho what have i done and how do i fix this POS
thanks all for your help

Cheers Jamie

wayno55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 wagon
Mack said:
YAY, all working fine now. Thank you. (Pitty that my trip meter or odo dosent work! all the cogs were fine too :()

i had the same problem, it was the motor that turns the cogs, it had broken off due the some good ol dash bashing,

enjoy the free Km

XSS1VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
i did this mod and it works well, im actually doin my mates VQ staty dash in a few days