Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SOLVED: Dead battery 3.5yrs old - CENTURY 68MF

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Good tips. Yep, it will not be driven very much (in fact parked interstate...)

Should it be OK if I just disconnect it when I leave it? Give it an overnight charge when I come back?

The Century battery replaced an Exide battery that also died after 3yrs with reasonable driving until COVID lockdowns when it was barely driven (and also had major mech issues and significant works at DPM).

Best left disconnected when parked up for extended periods. Recharge when you can. Ideal would be a small maintenance charger fitted to the car if it is feasible, but disconnect and periodically recharge is the next best.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wouldn't a trickle charger connected to a disconnected battery be a better option to keep it charged up?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Wouldn't a trickle charger connected to a disconnected battery be a better option to keep it charged up?

That is certainly an option. There can be some confusion and ambiguity between what is a ‘trickle charger’ and a ‘maintenance charger’. And some modern or smart chargers can do both ‘charging’ and ‘maintenance’.

My take (and opinions may vary) is that a ‘trickle charger’ will essentially be a slow or low-current charger, but it will eventually take the battery up to a full charge - and full voltage (usually 14.7V) and hold it there indefinitely. Whereas as ‘maintenance’ changer will back off a bit and hold the voltage at something like 13.5 V. This will hold the battery at a charged state, without sailing too close to the ‘gassing voltage’ which is any thing over 14.7V, but is temperature dependent. So holding a battery 14.7V may lead to it gassing a little and drying out (albeit very slowly). Holding the battery at a lower voltage is better for long term storage.

However, many modern battery chargers will automatically revert to a ‘maintenance mode’ after a period of time, so they are quite suitable for recharging and maintenance of a battery. So it is worthwhile digging out the instruction manual and seeing what ’modes’ the battery chargers has. If it has a ‘maintenance mode’ in the 13.x V region, then I reckon it’s fine (even ideal) for longterm use. However, it it holds the battery at 14.7V (or 14.4V) then it probably better used periodically rather than continuously.

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
I bought the 780cca Delco I think it was. It's the biggest one that fits.
did the same if I need it after twice going flat but the old one is still up to it and hanging in there
after leaving it in Drive the car is so is not too quite why running but I do turn the engine off