Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Soon new engine in, Time for remove LPG system or not?

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I found other low km engine v6 Buick VR and will go on my car by earlier next year so currently on my car run on dual fuel.

So my question is, Should I remove the LPG when change engine and would it better to run on petrol straight only?

Or should I just keep run on LPG and still use petrol as dual fuel, What are your opinions about it?

LPG on my car can get 315km or less in City driving and mix of freeway.

I want go for comfort, smoother and quiet and power.

Car is VR stato V6.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well it's installed why remove it? handy to have 2 tanks of fuel and longer between refueling... (pointless ripping the lines out as they don't weigh much and can't be sold as any installation requires new lines, would also require new lines if you decided to put lpg back in... from a safety side bending the copper line to much is dangerous as it can fracture and it requires a bit of bending to install initially let alone the stress on it removing and trying to reinstall it again)

If you want power run it on petrol, not like the lpg mixer is a huge restriction (unless it's to small for a 3.8L engine)......
Depending on the system you could upgrade it to something bigger... but need to know exactly what system is installed already before i suggest anything there.
Get the memcal tuned, bit more advance in the timing will wake it up (but needs to be done by someone that knows what they're doing not some cheap stooge ebuy chip)
I get plenty of power out of lpg on a buick v6, very rarely do i flick it over to petrol to over take for that extra bit of grunt but sometimes it happens, to make it automatic i'm considering installing a kick down switch from an earlier commy so it automatically cuts the lpg and turns on petrol at full throttle so i don't have to reach for the switch.

How many liters is the lpg tank? standard for vn-vs is normally around 70 liters of usable lpg, 315 km's is on the low side if it's the normal size tank to be installed in this model.

If you're worried about running lpg on the engine, install one of those flashlube systems... the buick already has hardened valve seats on the exhaust but the extra help won't go astray to make it last.

Last edited:

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Well it's installed why remove it? handy to have 2 tanks of fuel and longer between refueling... (pointless ripping the lines out as they don't weigh much and can't be sold as any installation requires new lines, would also require new lines if you decided to put lpg back in... from a safety side bending the copper line to much is dangerous as it can fracture and it requires a bit of bending to install initially let alone the stress on it removing and trying to reinstall it again)

If you want power run it on petrol, not like the lpg mixer is a huge restriction (unless it's to small for a 3.8L engine)...... i get plenty of power out of lpg on a buick v6, very rarely do i flick it over to petrol to over take for that extra bit of grunt but sometimes it happens, to make it automatic i'm considering installing a kick down switch from an earlier commy so it automatically cuts the lpg and turns on petrol at full throttle so i don't have to reach for the switch.

How many liters is the lpg tank? standard for vn-vs is normally around 70 liters of usable lpg, 315 km's is on the low side if it's the normal size tank to be installed in this model.

I believe mine LPG tank is about 63-70L I'm not too sure, and the reason is LPG would wear out the engine quickly than petrol engine? I do like the LPG, they are awsome and cheap to run around.

When engine is swap, Do it need go to LPG mechanic to put LPG back or straight swap and use old engine throttle mods for LPG put on other v6 and put everything in same way?

Also LPG make my car little viberation feel when I'm idle at traffic light and I think it need a tune up again. I just want know how long buick v6 can go for how many km with LPG and I know LPG is cleaner the engine which is add bonus.

The point is, LPG ruin engine quickly right? and have to mods other v6 again or straight swap like throttle body from old engine to other v6 for example.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As i edited, install a flashlube system if you're worried about the valves wearing out.
It'll ruin the engine about as quick as running an old holden 6/8 on ulp instead of leaded like it was designed (plenty of them still running around without any mods).
VNs2/vp/vr heads already have hardened valve seats on the exhaust side where it matters, only seen a handful of very early VN heads that didn't have hardened seats installed.

Just use the existing mods and bolt in swap the engine, if you only undo the vapor side bits it's pretty hard to mess up reinstalling them (if you undo the liquid gas side of things then check all joints with some soapy water and then get a professional to run a gas detector around the joints to make sure)

Lpg is much more picky on engine and ignition than petrol (tbh i find my car runs smoother on lpg than petrol) if the leads and plugs are old it'll run fine on petrol but may run rough on lpg.
63-70L and only getting 315km's then i'd say it needs a tune. I average 440km's to 64L of lpg (over 600km's when it's highway/freeway driving on trips)
If it's out of tune and running rich then this would explain hte rough running and poor economy.

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
As i edited, install a flashlube system if you're worried about the valves wearing out.
It'll ruin the engine about as quick as running an old holden 6/8 on ulp instead of leaded like it was designed (plenty of them still running around without any mods).
VNs2/vp/vr heads already have hardened valve seats on the exhaust side where it matters, only seen a handful of very early VN heads that didn't have hardened seats installed.

Just use the existing mods and bolt in swap the engine, if you only undo the vapor side bits it's pretty hard to mess up reinstalling them (if you undo the liquid gas side of things then check all joints with some soapy water and then get a professional to run a gas detector around the joints to make sure)

Lpg is much more picky on engine and ignition than petrol (tbh i find my car runs smoother on lpg than petrol) if the leads and plugs are old it'll run fine on petrol but may run rough on lpg.
63-70L and only getting 315km's then i'd say it needs a tune. I average 440km's to 64L of lpg (over 600km's when it's highway/freeway driving on trips)
If it's out of tune and running rich then this would explain hte rough running and poor economy.

thanks mate, Now I will thinking about it and see what my plan for future cheers