Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound deadening sheet for the firewall

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah the stuff under the bonnet i have seen, but never on the firewall itself. maybe they did it with older models but not VK? dunno. anyways, it would achieve f.. all having deadiner on the outside, except store water/oil/dirt so i say rip it off. most of the sound is stopped in-car anyways.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
yeah i dont have it on the top of the bonnet or on the fire wall
ari666 do u have the 6 or the v8

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
This is the stuff i'm talking about.
Enginebay.jpg

My VC firewall in the engine bay is covered in that black rubber crap. It's all falling off and looks terrible. Trouble is it looks like a major pain in the @$$ to remove while everything it still in there so it can stay until the engine comes out. Also some have it on the underside of the bonnet too.

That's my problem.

I friend of mine had the stuff removed from his VB when he did the efi conversion and now his cabin gets as hot as hell from the heat off the exhaust.

Maybe an option is lining the firewall in the cabin instead. at least this way the engine bay looks cleaner.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
That stuff is rare as rocking horse dung. Only way to get that stuff is from a wrecker.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
ohk i was just wondering cos mine all of a sudden has given up and has the worst acel and gearbox is taking forever. i mean it was fine before but now its just giving up ohwell
ill take it to the shop and get a good service and a good tranny service and if thats no better.a rebuild or a rb30.

no-doof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I didn't even think about the heat coming into the cabin from the exhaust with taking that off. Ah well, I will prob get some stuff for the inside of the firewall when I do mine. I am going to get my ehaders ceramic coated too, which apparently stops the heat radiating as much (and looks sweet too). See how it goes I guess.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well, ceramic coating does a hell of a lot more than just keep your firewall cool. it actually keeps the heat inside your exhaust which helps exhaust gasses maintain size/velocity. but yeah, story for another day. if you can afford that, by all means do it. going a bit overboard for a stock-ish build tho.

like i said, i dont have that stuff on mine and the firewall doesnt get noticably hot. the floor gets COOKING when temps go up on a hot day but thats cos the exhaust is right next to the floor. no heat shielding down there sadly.

no-doof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
It won't be a complete stock engine, I'm just going to do the conversion first and get it engineered and rego'd before I do anything. Looking at V8 throttle body, cam and head work. See how we go I spose. Ceramic coating isn't actually that expensive. I was quoted around $300 for straight 6 headers. Don't know what they will be for a V6, just have to wait and see I suppose.

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
I'm looking at ceramic coating the headers too.

I think I'll take the sheets off from the engine bay and through them on ebay (it will make the engine bay look better too) and later on install it in the cabin if I find it gets too hot and noisy.