Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound proofing?

S

sverzijl

I'm looking into getting a sound system in my car and I have been advised that it is a good idea to get some sort of sound proofing in the car (like felt behind the dash or something).

Does anyone know where I can go to get this done and how much it'll roughly cost me?

Thanks

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
how much are you spending on your system? unless you are spending a lot i wouldn't bother.

you can pick stuff up from jaycar.
http://www1.electusdistribution.com...keywords=3688&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&SUBCATID=
http://www1.electusdistribution.com...keywords=3680&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&SUBCATID=

note that electus supply jaycar.

dynamat is probably the best. also the most expensive. $20 to $25 for a 300x300mm sheet i think.

Here is some links to other threads started on the topic
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=1689&highlight=sound+matting

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=10986&page=1&pp=10&highlight=sound+matting

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Honestly...

If you have a powerful system and you want sound proofing material.. you might as well downgrade the system.

Like I know everyone wants the most powerful stereo without having it leak out of the car but remember it is, just a car. Your not running a concert stereo system.

I've tried sound proofing material and I reckon it's all BS. Buying some furniture fluff or fat batt insulation does pretty much the same job...

Also note that a sub woofer will be heard from outside the car because of it's low frequency. Sound proofing material or not, low frequency (15 - 50Hz) is very difficult to stop because it diffracts everywhere. It's like water, it always finds a way to bounce around material and outside the car. Glass isn't exactly going to stop it either so unless you want to cover your windows up, there's not much point to it except burning your wallet more.

One of the most effective solutions is to simply turn the sound down. That's why they invented attenuation buttons as well.

S

sverzijl

Actually I was thinking more for preventing sound from getting inside the car from the outside... Sound quality over volume...

Does anyone know if and how much it is to get done professionally? And who are good?

Just trying to weigh my options...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Professionally will be expensive as it is very labour intensive to do... It's pretty easy to do yourself, unless you plan to remove your whole dash to do the firewall or remove all seats to do the floor.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
TehFastyOne said:
I've tried sound proofing material and I reckon it's all BS. Buying some furniture fluff or fat batt insulation does pretty much the same job...

Honestly...you haven't tried much sound proofing have you?

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
If your that worried about outside sound getting in, it either going to be really hard or time consuming or both.

Some methods include... Applying bitumen based paint to the underside of the car especially the wheek arches, Quieter exhaust, sound dampening carpet underlay throughout, heat resistant sound insulation under the bonnet and on the firewall and getting quieter tires,
After you curse the crap fuel economy and performance from all the extra weight,
You go and eliminate all those funny rattles and squeaks.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
its a great idea to sound deaden. people complain that there is not a huge increase in volume and that it doesnt do anything but thats just plain wrong. it improves quality and because of the reduced road noise it ALSO means that you dont need to play the stereo louder to compensate for the road noise.
really isn't that hard to do, just time consuming but who cares? you cant get a good system without putting in some effort! or paying a lot of money.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm,sound proofing a car is quite tricky..you can do allright at taking away the highs 5-6kHz+ ,but low frenquencies have such a long wave length that they are hard to keep out,plus they're are omni directional which doesnt help.
Basically you could never create a "dead room" inside a car because there's not enough room for the amount and width of sound proofing you would need.
You didnt mention what kind of car this is for,but if its not too old and you have all the windows up your sound quality should be quite good..alot of newer cars have decent sound proofing features to eliminate street noise.
Anyway,thats my two cents worth,sorry for ramblin on.

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I just recarpeted my car and installed the sound proofing underlay supplied by Knox Auto Carpets. The difference is amazing. I can now hear my stereo much more clearly over the exhaust, and the stereo itself is giving out a much better sound with the dampening effect of the sound proofing.

Definitely a good investment. It really helps to create a solid sounding system and makes the ride much more enjoyable.