Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system help

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
Alright so recently i got a 12" amp, 4 channel amp & splits in the front,
Since my pioneer head unit didn't have an AUX In i went to autobarn to buy another HU & the fella there told me that the head unit i was buying is only a 2-channel but it'd be fine because i can just chuck in 2 rca splits..
so on i end up doing this -
My question & help needed is that before when i had the pioneer 4ch HU in the bass was really loud and thumping louder than the front speakers.
Now that I've got this 2ch HU with split rca's in, my front speakers go loud and sub works but the sub doesn't seem to be going as loud as it use too. :mad:.
Why is this? have i just blown $140 on something that isn't what i want?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if you have a a battery going to one bulb its brighter than going to two bulbs
because the bulbs share the power

similar thing would be applying here
but first try playing with your settings on the new HU like look for low pass filter or a hz setting....
maybe its just not set up yet
if the headunit you bought is the same amount of power output as your old one but now its goin to split rca's
(2 into four i gather) there will be a small decrease in output sound....

if you want try unplugging rear speakers or whatever so the sub amp has only one connection to the HU like your old one and see if it is just a splitting of power issue.

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
if you have a a battery going to one bulb its brighter than going to two bulbs
because the bulbs share the power

similar thing would be applying here
but first try playing with your settings on the new HU like look for low pass filter or a hz setting....
maybe its just not set up yet
if the headunit you bought is the same amount of power output as your old one but now its goin to split rca's
(2 into four i gather) there will be a small decrease in output sound....
Thanks for the reply, the weird thing when i bought it was when i went through the settings there was NO hz settings only stuff like dbb, bass -7 to +7 , fade, & the other thing.. , i've got it on +7 bass, thinking of going back to the pioneer unit and try and sell my new one for $50. With the less power coming out, shouldn't that be fine with the subwoofer since the amp is powering it? - I don't know much about this stuff yet so correct me :D thanks.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
amps sont like sharing rca outs from the back of the HU i've found recently :)
it sounds like there isnt a sub out rca set on your stereo, only front back rca out(normal speakers)

i just changed my stereo as the flip out dvd didnt impress the blue fellas,
got a sony HU 230 bucks and its louder than the clarion i had.... as it has sub out (rca left right) and front and rear rca out(4 plugs) so for a bit more i had full control of range and volume on each channel/speaker...

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
amps sont like sharing rca outs from the back of the HU i've found recently :)
it sounds like there isnt a sub out rca set on your stereo, only front back rca out(normal speakers)
The set isnt actually ON the unit it's through the wiring - there's a white cable and a red cable where you plug in the rca's, I've put two rca splits (one on each cable) & have connected the black with the black and the red with the red on both of them, is this right? thanks.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
but the wiring its on is attached to the back of your HU yeah? :)
if you still have the box and that from your new one go and look for the wiring diagram
it will show you the best way for that stereo...

anyway if you had a 4-channel out stereo before and now you have a 2-channel out stereo (im just talking your rca connections coming from the stereo) and you have all your speakers plugged in, then you would have rca splitters on one

so 2 come out of the stereo going into 6 ? (channels/speakers e.g. lf, rf, lr, rr, subL, subR)

2 for sub AND 2 into 4 by a splitter to your normal speakers

is this correct?

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
but the wiring its on is attached to the back of your HU yeah? :)
if you still have the box and that from your new one go and look for the wiring diagram
it will show you the best way for that stereo...

anyway if you had a 4-channel out stereo before and now you have a 2-channel out stereo (im just talking your rca connections coming from the stereo) and you have all your speakers plugged in, then you would have rca splitters on one

so 2 come out of the stereo going into 6 ? (channels/speakers e.g. lf, rf, lr, rr, subL, subR)

2 for sub AND 2 into 4 by a splitter to your normal speakers

is this correct?

Not quite sure on what your saying (I'm new to this :p), but the amp is powering the sub and the 2 speakers in the front, on the new head unit i've plugged in one rca split for each cable, as it's only got two cables - two splits. There's 2 dark blue kinda transparent rca cables & two light blue rca cables right,
So i have plugged the black dark blue with the black on the split & red light blue with the red, so one of the light blue & dark blue is going into the split & same with the other split.
I'm a bit confused with what i'm saying atm haha so sorry about that mate.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
right soz so you used to have 2 sets of rcas going from your stereo to your amp
now you only have two? and two of those two rca leads arent plugged into anything

Last edited:

Adidas

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Commodore
right soz so you used to have 2 sets of rcas going from your stereo to your amp
now you only have two? and two of those two rca leads arent plugged into anything
no no sorry, I've got two rca cables, there's 2 outs coming off each (1 black, 1 red on each) i've got 1 red 1 black going into the first split so the black off the first rca and the red off the second rca is going into the first split, and the other way around with the 2nd split.