Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare parts availability

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I was just wondering if anyone else here has been involved in an accident (not my fault) and the repairer is having problems getting spare parts?

My S2 Redline was hit up the rear at a low 35km/h and there didn’t appear to be much damage. After I dropped it off to be fixed, they have said there was more damage than was initially found after they removed the bumper and now they are waiting on spare parts with the bumper being on backorder. Overall I am looking at the car being off the road for a month.

The repairer has been highly recommended to me by a few people (including an assessor from another insurance company) so I was initially happy to wait to get the car fixed by them (a two month wait to get in) but now it seems there is a wait on parts being around?

Being my pride and joy I don’t mind waiting as long as it is fixed properly and I added in the hire car option when I renewed my policy so I still have a car to run around in in the meantime.

I just wonder what it will be like getting panels / parts in the future?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
There were large quantities of spares produced prior to the factory closedown. For bumper bars, I believe the dies were sent to a local injection moulder to produce spares going forward - they're just too bulky and fast moving to store large quantities...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit of an old thread but I'm chasing down NOS for my inventory as some parts for the VE are NLA. I have searched for a VE indicator stalk and there are no new ones available that I can find online. Parts are getting harder and harder to find and some parts are Holden factory exclusive and it would seem there are some things that unless snapped up while there are still a few around will end up going for absolute stupid money. Eg, a SH LS1 accelerator pedal is now $1000 and there are no more to be had anywhere.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
yes spare parts are going to be a problem, speaking to my local holden spare parts dealer they said that lots of spare parts door card trims, bumpers ect are being brought and hoarded by spare parts groups company's and vf2 owners
stock piling genuine parts to make massive profit in years to come
i must admit i have hoarded new front guards, bumpers, door trims all cabin switches ect
even if i dont use them , i,m sure i wont lose money when its time to sell
i even bought small parts from the US (chevy ss)when our dollar was high (parts were cheaper than aust)
i did the same with a lc torana i still have, i brought a new bare lc torana drivers door for $25 from local GMH dealer late 70s
its still under the house and worth i bit if i were to sell it today
indicator stalks have always been a part that needs replacing on commodores going back to the VC models
if you can spare the cash have a lash on genuine parts,
if you dont use them in years to come you will most likely make money on them in 5-10 years time when genuine parts will be highly sought after

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, I'm not going as far as stockpiling but I am building a small inventory. I'm trying to have at least one each of genuine things like switches and bits that wear out. So far I have close to $500 worth in the shed and more on the way.

As for the VE indicator stalk I can not find a new one online anywhere. IDK if Holden are still carrying them or not but I will try them to see if they are.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So far I have close to $500 worth in the shed and more on the way.
Just a heads up that most home insurance policies cap parts you‘ve stashed in your garage to a low figure, usually $500.

So if you have or get lots more stuff, or the stuff appreciates lots in value, you’d want to look at upping coverage ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With what's in my shed stealing parts won't be on the smash and grab list. There are items which are far more marketable than a few parts in cardboard boxes or tubs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
With what's in my shed stealing parts won't be on the smash and grab list. There are items which are far more marketable than a few parts in cardboard boxes or tubs.
You’d be surprised what some crooks do.

1/2 a lifetime ago, after a group of us had dinner at a nice restaurant, we all went back to a mates place. On arrival we found gouge marks around the front door lock and frame so we were all rather suspicious. On opening the front door, we were all shocked to find the house was empty… completely starkers … Luckily we found all their stuff stacked nicely in the double driveway, hidden behind the solid gates. Not a nice feeling for them as newlyweds, nor for the rest of us who were there.

Don’t really know where the crooks were but it seems they must have been planing to
pick the stuff up with a truck. May be they were interrupted by our return, maybe they hadn’t come back yet (we didn’t notice anyone in the street or any odd cars in the area).

That was the only time in their lives they’ve experience a burglary and luckily it wasn’t successful. But all their stuff was nice,y stacked in their driveway waiting to be picked up… Which is why we all have good insurance coverage these days…

But even if you are never burgled, a fire/flood can destroy all your stuff. So having your insurance company only pay out $500 for your car spares which are worth 1000’s maybe 10’s of 1000’s isn't great.

Your risk tolerance may be different to mine so YMMV. Just thought it was worth a heads up.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You’d be surprised what some crooks do.

1/2 a lifetime ago, after a group of us had dinner at a nice restaurant, we all went back to a mates place. On arrival we found gouge marks around the front door lock and frame so we were all rather suspicious. On opening the front door, we were all shocked to find the house was empty… completely starkers … Luckily we found all their stuff stacked nicely in the double driveway, hidden behind the solid gates. Not a nice feeling for them as newlyweds, nor for the rest of us who were there.

Don’t really know where the crooks were but it seems they must have been planing to
pick the stuff up with a truck. May be they were interrupted by our return, maybe they hadn’t come back yet (we didn’t notice anyone in the street or any odd cars in the area).

That was the only time in their lives they’ve experience a burglary and luckily it wasn’t successful. But all their stuff was nice,y stacked in their driveway waiting to be picked up… Which is why we all have good insurance coverage these days…

But even if you are never burgled, a fire/flood can destroy all your stuff. So having your insurance company only pay out $500 for your car spares which are worth 1000’s maybe 10’s of 1000’s isn't great.

Your risk tolerance may be different to mine so YMMV. Just thought it was worth a heads up.

And sheds have a habit of catching fire.....particularly when one's enthusiasm outweighs one's ability.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
And sheds have a habit of catching fire.....particularly when one's enthusiasm outweighs one's ability.
… their ability to apply common sense…

One mate had a small open bin over flowing with rags and oil soaked rags :rolleyes: and he was happily grinding with the sparks going in the direction of those oil soaked rags :eek: To make it worse, he had large amounts of flammable fluids (5 ltr petrol, 5 ltr 2 stroke fuel, 500 ml bottles of metho & turps, tin of thinners and who knows what else…) all near his rags bin… Oddly he never had any problems or accidents so good luck or dumb luck may be a real thing :p