Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spare wheel

F

fauker

hi just wondering why the spare wheel in my vy has a speed limited sticker on in? prob simple answer just curious

R

rattattack1313

Is it a re-tread???????? If so, you can only do the specified speed written on it..........

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
might be one of them small dummy wheels only used as a temporary tire must get original one fixed straight away.

griffo1962

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive Wagon
fauker said:
hi just wondering why the spare wheel in my vy has a speed limited sticker on in? prob simple answer just curious

Does your car have 235/45R17 93V tyres, if so the spare will be a temporary spare and therefore speed limited to 80km/hr and techically illegal to use (in Qld anyway)

griffo

F

fauker

its not any of the above its factory spare (just a fifteen inch chaser) but its not just my car ive seen the same thing vy s packs and ss its an orange sticker on the rim saying 80k speed limit

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
Holden started putting the 15" wheels in as the spare to save costs from the series 2 VYs. Same on the VZs. If you place the spare and the ones on the car together, the spare has a larger rolling diameter. The tire is narrower so the footprint is less and sidewall is taller so will squirm more. This can give weird handling. Also the speed rating on the wheel will be less than the 4 on the car.

F

fauker

that makes more sense, thanks for that really apperciate it that be bugging me 4 ages

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
malscar said:
Holden started putting the 15" wheels in as the spare to save costs from the series 2 VYs. Same on the VZs. If you place the spare and the ones on the car together, the spare has a larger rolling diameter. The tire is narrower so the footprint is less and sidewall is taller so will squirm more. This can give weird handling. Also the speed rating on the wheel will be less than the 4 on the car.

Yeah thats pretty spot on. If you had 4 of those spares and put them on all corner of the car, then there would be no speed restriction except that of the tyres (and perhaps speed limit ;)) Yeah my VY has the same, also it may cause the car to pull slightly to one side.

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Can you imagine driving a gen 3 with only 15" cop rims on it?? Scary enough in the wet with 18" J type mags and tyres.

Scotty

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
Dowling_s said:
Can you imagine driving a gen 3 with only 15" cop rims on it?? Scary enough in the wet with 18" J type mags and tyres.

Scotty

Yep thats exactly why all cop cars get upgraded tyres. I dont know why they even sell commodores with 205 RE92's anymore.