Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plugs and leads

GROWLZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Clubsport
Just curious, How often should you change your plugs? Also what r some of the better more exspensive brands of plugs and leads??

V

vnberlwagon

Plugz & Leads

I'm not sure about change intervals, probably check every 6 mths just in case u come across something. I've been told to use only NGK plugs(always check the gapping). Not sure about leads, ask at any reputable parts store, I haven't changed mine yet, still in good nick.:thumbsup:

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
1991_Vn2nV
lol the reason why we say Top Gun 10mm is because thats really the only brand we stock (other than shitty champion and not so far off repco leads) they are great long lasting, powerful leads but like NGK there is always a better brand out there, but will do the job. (if you find somethin you like, check if rocket industrieshttp://www.rocketindustries.com.au/catalogue_brands.php supply that brand. if they do, repco can order it in for)

NGK are one of the best brand spark plugs you can get, they deliver better performance, fuel economy and longer life span than other plugs. Champion are **** (plain and simple) for example if you tighten them (when installin them) you can crack it alot easier.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
As far as changing plugs, change them when they start to look bad. Like if they look kinda burnt or have a white powder look on the electrode. For brands I recommend Bosch. Both plugs and leads. Reasonably priced and never had a set fail on me in 8 years. But I have had a set of GM leads fail and no name 'heavy duty leads fail.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I change my plug's religiously every 10000km, i just use the platinum **** NGK's, even on my old SS which churned almost 300rwkw they were fine, as for lead's i wouldn't reccomend any commercial brand's. I used custom lead's by a guy in geelong, cost me almost $400 but you could feel the difference, i sold that car without those lead's for obvious reason's.

Last edited:

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I use Bosch spark plugs and genuine lead sets in all my customers cars. I find the range of spark plugs is good and havent had a problem with any of them and genuine leads so the cars look original fitment when they leave the shop.

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
i just put some Eagle Performance leads (9mm) on mine and it made a decent noticeable difference :)