Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spark plugs and leads

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
stock vt plug lead update

Can any one tell me if I were to replace my early VT V6 plug leads with later VX leads (with combined heat shield) that they would be any easier to get off when I change plugs? I have crook thumbs, and the early type with the loose heat shields are a pain.:mad:
Pablo

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
also make sure your leads aren't touching each other as they can arc out into another lead causing slight misfire.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
pablo said:
Can any one tell me if I were to replace my early VT V6 plug leads with later VX leads (with combined heat shield) that they would be any easier to get off when I change plugs? I have crook thumbs, and the early type with the loose heat shields are a pain.:mad:
Pablo
You cant buy vt leads from holden they are superseeded to the vx sytle now. As 4 change intervals, i use genuine plugs every 20,000kms and changed original leads to magnacore on LS1, and dont fit heat shields, the magnacore leads have special higher temp boots that will last longer, but u pay heaps more, best way to tell with leads is to do visual check (any white marks) and resistance per foot on ohms meter

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I use 8.8mm TOP GUN LEADS and gettin in some Bosch Super 4's,post how this setup goes when i put them on in the upcoming weeks

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
spark plugs and leads have no moving parts. they can last a long time.

i inspect plugs for condition of electrodes and insulator (porcelain bit). if there's obvious damage they are binned but that's rare. the electrode can just be cleaned up and gapped unless it's badly worn.

leads can generally just be measured for resistance. if there's a problem it will usually become obvious by putting an ohmeter across it.

there's no reason you can't get 80,000 km from them if they continue to look good.