Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed alert set to permanent digital speedo.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have finally found a speed alert that will set to permanent speedo.There has to be a reason why some will set and others wont.I have looked at the inside of the two units,one unit that will set permanently, and one unit that wont, the inside looks exactly the same,the circuit board,everything.I was thinking that if a few people can post their speed alert details which is on a sticker on the back of the speed alert unit,that there might be some units with a different part number,or maybe even from a certain build date.
The unit that wouldnt set permanently which was originally in my 1995 VS has a build date of 17-10-95 and a GMH part number 92048774.
The other unit that will set to permanent speedo has a build date of 24-6-97 and has the part number 92053373.
I thought it might be just the later ones that set, but the VR ones are the same also,some set,others dont.So I cant see how when it was built would really have anything to do with it.

If anyone is intertested in all this and wants to help work out why some set and others dont,you can help by posting your speed alert units details and whether it sets to permanent speedo or not.The speed alert unit just slides out of the front of the dash,I used a small screwdriver to get in behind one side of the unit and gently levered it outwards to unclip it.It will just pull straight out once one side is unclipped.The build date and part number is on a couple of stickers at the back of the unit.Cheers.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have 2 but cant test them as I dont have a VR or VS.

16/6/95 - P/N 92048774
17/4/97 - P/N 92053373

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have 2 but cant test them as I dont have a VR or VS.

16/6/95 - P/N 92048774
17/4/97 - P/N 92053373

They are the same as the ones I have,it would be interesting to see what they do compared to mine.Maybe a mate can let you check them out on his car to see if they set permanent or not..If you can remove the cover of the unit,you can check to see if the two circuit boards are the same as well.There has to be a reason why some are different,Im determinded to find it.

Ackoart

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
Hold all 3 buttons down while turning ignition to the off position release the buttons then hold down the three buttons again while turning ignition on and don't release the buttons hold for about five seconds you will hear a beep the speedo should be displayed permanently with no flashing light

Ackoart

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore ute
I too could not get mine to set permanently using the method holding the two buttons while turning the ignition on and it always reset itself by doing the method that I found in my previous post works well on my vs with no flashing light and stays on permanently where before it didn't

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
I had my speed alert set on temporary electronic speedo today (with the stupid light flashing away) and it reads about 3 to 5 km/h different to the actual speedo .Then I looked at the tech 1 speed readout and it showed a different speed again,about 2-4 km/h difference again from the other two.3 different speeds showing up,I wonder which one is closest to being right.

My speedometer used to show slightly more that the speed alert. I replaced the instrument cluster, and the speedometer is now showing less than the speed alert. They probably need recalibrating after 17 years.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
I set my to temp to see the speed read out and mines the same as yours brett with the km difference, i grabbed my mums speed gun (shes a cop) and the digital was dead on correct and the needle was wrong on both dash clusters i have. Needle shows im going 5ks faster than i actually am, i think its to do with the whole speed tolerance set into cars. but i may be wrong,

I also have 2 of these digital things so ill run out to the car and test both for you. and give you the details

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok both mine are temp with the flashing light,

1 - d13 995 gmh part number 92048774 on the circuit board i have 9.95/h and then an s or 8 or something. - out of my 97 vs ute manual
2 - j102.95 gmh part number 92048774 on the ciruit board i have 11.94/c5 - out of a 95 vs sedan auto.

i did notice both have 12 pin holes but only the center 8 have pins coming through.

Btw if i hold down the 3 buttons on acc and turn it off, funny charecters come up on the screen and a loud beep, and when i turn back on and take my fingers off they stay there until i hit up or down

I did however find a 4 stage programer to set speed 1 speed 2 speed 3 and speed 4 so you can change the speed alert to the next level up. found this by holding set when turning the car on.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
And if you want it permanent just do this

The speed alert in my vs early series 2, you hold down the two outside buttons while the ignition is off, crank until the engine is running and release the buttons... the red led will be flashing, and you will have a digital readout of your speed. Mate of mine pulled his apart and bridged those two button contacts, and put a resistor in place of the LED... Permanent digital speedo!
Holding down the set button while starting the car has different results. According to the VS II car manual... The speed alert has 4 preset speed settings. 110, 100, 80 and 60. If you press set and up at the same time, or set and down at the same time, it goes to the nearest preset in that direction. If you hold SET, start the car, and release set, You get the ability to change those presets. The number will be flashing. Change it to what you want, press set, repeat for each preset...

Ah, the things you an learn from reading the instructions.

Eggy995

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 3.8L Ecotec VS Commodore S
wat series VS u got?? pre sure only series 2 does unless calais stato etc