Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedometer not working

robsul66

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Calais
HSV VP CALAIS 1992 MODEL. Speedo does not work

I just bought a HSV CALAIS V8, the speedo does not work, since this does not work neither will the trip computer, cruise control & distance left till empty. Please how do I rectify this problem, Car is located in Bass Hill area.
Thanks...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I just bought a HSV CALAIS V8, the speedo does not work, since this does not work neither will the trip computer, cruise control & distance left till empty. Please how do I rectify this problem, Car is located in Bass Hill area.
Thanks...

Check the speed sensor on the gearbox.

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
Re: speedo working but k's not

I had the same problem speedo works but no k's i checked the servo pick up in the gear box its fine. Next thing to do was check the dash. Pulled the cluster out and apart and found the gears in the k's where stripped!. Brought a secound hand one and it lasted long enought to get through road worthy and the same problem again stripped gears. I ended up getting one from ebay for i think $150 and came with stylish hsv white faced gauges.

In the vn its easy to take out sorry to say $300 is alot of money. All up it took me 20 mins max to put in. Start with the two bottom screws under the lights and window wiper switches. then their are two screws above the gauges. Pull the dash out then their will be 5 wire connectors just pull them off you cant put the connectors back in wronge as they have location pins so you cant stuff them up. On the cluster look for two screws on each side off the cluster and remove them. Now grab the cluster and pull towards you with alittle force and it should unclip.

To check the gears in the cluster remove all the lights then undo all screws plus bolts. And then unclip the membrain going into the fuel gauge. The two parts to the cluster will just fall apart on the side of the k's cluster is a small motor held in by three screws remove them and you can now see the gears check to see if they are stripped if they are then thats your problem.

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I had the same problem speedo works but no k's i checked the servo pick up in the gear box its fine. Next thing to do was check the dash. Pulled the cluster out and apart and found the gears in the k's where stripped!. Brought a secound hand one and it lasted long enought to get through road worthy and the same problem again stripped gears. I ended up getting one from ebay for i think $150 and came with stylish hsv white faced gauges.

In the vn its easy to take out sorry to say $300 is alot of money. All up it took me 20 mins max to put in. Start with the two bottom screws under the lights and window wiper switches. then their are two screws above the gauges. Pull the dash out then their will be 5 wire connectors just pull them off you cant put the connectors back in wronge as they have location pins so you cant stuff them up. On the cluster look for two screws on each side off the cluster and remove them. Now grab the cluster and pull towards you with alittle force and it should unclip.

To check the gears in the cluster remove all the lights then undo all screws plus bolts. And then unclip the membrain going into the fuel gauge. The two parts to the cluster will just fall apart on the side of the k's cluster is a small motor held in by three screws remove them and you can now see the gears check to see if they are stripped if they are then thats your problem.

The L3 dash has a digital trip meter and DTE. If the signal is missing from the speed sensor the speedo will fail.

Also I'd be checking the PCB where it plugs into the trip computer - it may be broken.

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
lol 88 GREEN VN your right sorry didnt think off that. With that note you can use a muilti meter and see if there is any voltage while driving.

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
Sorry should explain better find the input wire from the servo on the gearbox that goes to the k's gauge in the cluster while driving use the multi meter to check if their is anytype of voltage while driving. if the multi meter says 0 and does not change then its the servo but on the other hand if you get a reading can be anywhere from .5 volts up to 5 volts then that tells you its the cluster. hope that helps