Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo's

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just a little note for those with a speeding fine.... Australian Design Rule 18/02 says that the manufacturer of a vehicle can allow up to 10% tollerance in the actual reading of a speedo. ie at 100km/hour you COULD be doing 90k/h or 110k/h. At 60k/h it MIGHT be 54k/h or 66k/h

Research also suggests that people doing 10 to 20 kilometers an hour over the limit are the safest drivers on the road.

It also has been suggested that although speed cameras have made a dent in serious accidents around their sites they are not actualy helping to lower the Road Toll any further.

So add these up and if you fight the fine and win let everyone know how you did it.

Just to let you know I don't suggest you speed, especially to prove the above points, If you loose it will cost you heaps!

Sorry I'm not trying to be political or anything like that so use the info wisely!!!!

Kind Regards Guy

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I always check for speed camera's before going out, it makes me laugh at the quip's they have at the bottom of the page about the road toll dropping a heap since 1990. I look at it from the point of view, you compare a VN to a VT or VX, the difference between them in terms of safety is remarkable. The roads in SA have dropped in quality since I started driving but I guess they like to think it's to do with the speed camera's.

It's just like they said the 50kph would save lives, from what I have seen on the road toll for SA it is quite a bit higher over last year.

I know a stack of people who drive past speed camera's at the correct speed, once out of line with them they flatten it again, it's only really slowing them down for a little while.

Anyway with the speedo you can get your speedo checked by your local roadside assistance mob, here in SA it's call RAA and I think in Melbourne it's called RACV.

They dont' fix it of course but a place like VDO can at a nice price.

From memory it cost me about $40 - $50 to get them to test the car, lucky I did as my speedo is out at 60 by 6.6kph.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Here in Qld we have mobile camera's you know the ones in Blue dual cab hiluxs, white vans and silver or brown landcruisers with the Speed camera in operation sign behind them. Its all a big revenue raising road trip for the big bro. Most of ours are in the same place a lot of the time though. I think they could stop speeding a lot more if they just got someone to flash their headlights all day going down the road.

Regards Guy

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
im hearing you guy, im down at beenleigh, and on a normal day for me i will pass atleast 3 speed cammer's from here to the city, it's only like about 30-40km's from here, i get one at the paradise rd merge at springwood, there is usualy a motorcycle cop on the t2 at mt gravate, and with out fail, there is one just after the river side expresse way, on average up here, qld driver's will go pass them and usualy get booked doing around the 10 or 12km over the speed limit. they tell us up here that the amount of fatal crashes has droped, well, only because car safety has imporoved, look at the state of qld roads up here way below standard. my dad got done flashing a car with his light's to warn of a speed cammera, i guess it didnt help it was a unmarked cop car. goes to show dont it

just my thought's

cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
In melbourne the amount of speedcameras is really starting to piss motorists off.

ive seen people get out of their car and try and attack the guys in the car, plus people beeping, doing burnouts infront of the car, etc.

being booked for doing 114 in a 110 zone is really fucked.

that ADR rule is interesting & ive heard of thats why vic's original tolerances were 10% off the speed. ie 66 in a 60 zone

hey if you wanted to be a smartass tell them that if they still feel its necessary to charge you for the speeding to send the bill to the ADR commitee

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Friend of mine got pulled over the other day because the copper said he was not paying due care and attention to the road. He used the excuse that he had to keep looking at the speedo so he did not get booked for speeding.

Now lets see.....would I like to get booked for 'undue car and attention' or...speeding, I'm not yet sure how about you?

Anyway he did get let off but it makes you think!!!!!!!

GUY.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
114 in 110 is a bit rough. I certainly hope they don't go changing it here as that would make it more difficult. I would like to know how many speedo's are actually accurate, I know mine has been tested and it's out but how many people aren't aware of it?

I hear what your saying it's a case of watching the speeding more and more, I find in Adelaide they like to get you when your going down an incline instead of out on the roads where people actually are involved in fatal car crashes.

These 50kph zones are the things which really annoy, I know a few times I've been driving along at 65 and thought oh crap it's 50 here. If I had of been done the cop wouldn't have believed me as they would get that excuse all the time.

As it is the 50 kph they implemented here earlier in the year has had no impact on the road toll, infact it's higher. Geez anyone with a brain could have worked that out.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
If they actually gave two hoots about saving lives, they'd put all revenues into the development of safer cars and roads.

Working & studying @ Monash Uni, i have a bit to do with the Monash Crash Test department. Funnily enuf, i was informed several months ago that the budget given to the deparment from the state goverment was being lowered by 5% due to restrictions & cut backs.
What a load of crap! They are making more money than ever!

Also, speed camera operators are getting paid bonuses for good pictures and people are now very aware that the actual cameras themselves are not accurate as it was demonstrated on a few current afair programs here in melb.

Did anyone outside of Victoria hear about the girl who was driving a 1973 Gemi and got a speeding fine for doing 157 in a 100 zone?
She got a 500 dollar fine, loss of license for 6 months and 6 points lost.
She knew her car wasn't capable so she got a race pro (cant remeber his name) to take her car to the track and get its top speed.
They logged about 110 being the fasted the car could possibly go, so after the girl had spent about 2,000 on legal aid & countless time trying to get publicity, they retracted the fine with a simple 'we're sorry'.

Similar thing happened the other day in the Burkley Tunnel (sp?) where the camera was picking up bogus speeds of 100+ what motorists were travelling.

Cops have frozen over 2 million dollars worth of pedning fines and are going back over previously given ones until they can be sure they are all accurate & the camera isn's spitting out ****. How can you trust any of them? I don't know, we are just to believe that the cameras are 100% accurate?

PS, heres an idea to the G'ment, MOTORISTS DON'T KNOW WHEN THE ROAD IS 50kmh. They say 'when there is no speed sign, its 50'. Well here in Victoria speed signs are scarce on all roads but highways & freeways where it's obvious! What about painting the speed on the road?
Oh, hang on, that might hinder revenue & cost them money.

D'oh, guess I wouldn't make a good politician!

T

TimP

Yeah, I try to follow the speed limit, but got booked doing 100 in an 80 zone, when I never saw the 80 sign and thought it was still 100. I tried to tell the cop, but he had some rant about how I almost ran him down pulling over to the side of the road.... what did he expect me to do, lock it up on the middle of a freeway. I think at the end of the day, you just gotta pray you get a nice cop and not some maniac wanker like the one I got. Of course if hed breathalised me I woulda been super screwed... but I still lost my licence for accumulation of points =P

*EDIT* If Im going to speed, I always try to follow the 10km over rule. Make sure you don't get booked doing 12km/h+ over. And if they clock you at that, beg for them to round it down =P Another interesting fact I heard on same lame current affair program, when the copper is aiming the speed camera at you from 300metres away, the cone or radius of the laser is 1metre wide. So if you get booked from a long way away, theres every chance he missed you and got the car next to you or something. In the copper defence tho, I think all speed cameras would have a tendancy to under-read your actual speed, as if they dont get you going exactly straight on to the camera, you are probably going slightly faster than it reads.

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Regarding the laser gun.
I saw the program as well. Apparently the laser hand held gun has a 1m wide beam at 100m, therefore at 300m range you are talking about a 3m wide beam. The guy sucessfully argued that it was on a bend and it was the vehicle going away around the bend. Case dismissed.

Doesn't beat the letter I got the other week. Apparently I was in Perth in Sept (Iam in Brissie!) driving around!. Tried to tell the crietin on the phone, he said I had to 'come in to view the ticket', 'hello McFly!" I toldhim mate I am Brisbane it wasnt me. Everntually they sent the ticket to a local cop shop, low and behold it was a bloke about 50yrs with a beard (Iam 30). Thought what a knucklehead surley the bloke would have be able to tell of the phone. I guess they assumed most people will think, oh ticket, better pay.

Whackers!

Enough of a rant.