Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spelling and grammar

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Hey, I'm just reading into what you've written. That’s the way it comes across. Whilst not as extreme as that (slight exaggeration), my point remains. I refute it as I deem Gen Y as better schooled than previous Gen's (which encompasses literacy).

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have no doubt that the current generation are far more educated on average than us oldies, but its not in English.

Textspeak works fine for text, although I would argue that with older phones, it was more useful than it is now. With older phones, you had to hit the number 1 three times for a 'c' and if you wanted a double 'cc' then you had to pause between letters. It's expedient to create a form of shorthand in that situation, and textspeak certainly had its place.

With more modern phones however, with full qwerty keyboards and far more advanced predictive abilities ( and auto spell correction! ) there is really no excuse for not bothering to use actual English, when holding a written conversation in English.

My 15 year old is currently planning her career as a naval nurse. She has perfectly acceptable marks at school, and I have no doubt she will succeed gaining entry to her chosen University ( when she finally chooses it ) but her spelling and grammar are atrocious, and her mathematics skills aren't much better.

How she is passing those subjects with reasonable marks is beyond me, I am sure the bar has been lowered considerably over the years.

I don't particularly object to the poor English used in this forum, be it spelling or grammar. I can read netspeak quite well, and its a car forum, not an English class. It concerns me that many can't speak or write their native language correctly any more, but it's not my problem except in the case of my own kids.

I think the biggest problem I have with some posts in here is the famed walloftext.
A few well placed full stops and the use of paragraphing in particular make a long diatribe substantially easier to digest. It only takes a few seconds to edit a post into paragraphs, and makes a major difference in its readability.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
My phone has that auto-correct feature. I turn it off. I'd rather send 1 page of text than three. The latter ends up taking three times as long and costs more. If anything not using txt-talk is the stupid thing to do.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So in summary to the 4 pages. Text talk has it's uses as does good old fashioned English. Text talk is here to stay as is poor punctuation and grammar so deal with it.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Last night I attended a meeting regarding Politics and the retail sector. Was interested to note that the Guest Speaker stated that 6 million people have literacy issues and that Holden here in Adelaide had to put a large number of it's workforce through an LLNP (language, literacy and numeracy program) when they decided to build the Cruze as they couldn't read and write and they were not migrants but Australian born.

Then this morning I found myself at another meeting with DEEWR where representative from the LLNP department informed us that 45% of the population has literacy issues.

There was also a Manager from a local LLNP provider who said business is booming, they introducted afternoon classes a few months ago which are a big success with youth who don't like getting up early, and more recently night classes as they identified many in the workforce who can't read and write.

Just thought I would share.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
What ever happened to the "Education Revolution"?

zapper-l67

LS# Eat One Today...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Zapp :rofl2:

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
still gets me how people mix up "then" and "than"..... like, really??

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
still gets me how people mix up "then" and "than"..... like, really??

My favorite is people getting "your" and "you're" mixed up.

Last edited: